Author Topic: Jumping veins  (Read 9644 times)

joanna_an

Jumping veins
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind.. I am back with one more question...

I have jumping veins.. They move when someone tries to stick them with a needle. I suppose they are thin as well. So everytime the nurses try to get blood they need to use the butterfly (a very thin needle).
I wonder if any one of the surgery peeps had this problem and how much does it affect the surgery? Were there problems with the anesthesia? And other related needle feeding?
I will tell the doctor about my problem when I see him, but just wanted to get some feedback from personal experience.

Joanna.
31 years old female
Left AN 18x16x13mm diagnosed on the 17th of October 2013
21mm on the 19th of February 2014
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Jumping veins
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:46:04 pm »
Questions are good; and part of what the Forum's all about  :)

I'm not a medical professional, but I've been donating blood for years.  In my personal experience drawing blood - and how hard or easy it is - often depends on the person with the needle in his/her hand.    In other words, sometimes its all in the technique used by the person attempting to draw your blood.  I've had techs/nurses insist on using a butterfly; I've had techs/nurses tell me there was no reason to use one.

Definitely mention the "issue" to the anesthetist or anesthesiologist who will be putting you to sleep; but don't stress too much about it.  They've dealt with just about every situation imaginable and will find a way to put you "under" - and keep you there for the length of your surgery.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:03:29 am »
Hi Joanna,
We nurses call them rolling veins. You can attempt to drink extra water the day before surgery to make yourself well hydrated. Ask for warm blankets before your IV start, have them wrapped around your arms and covering you. Warm relaxed veins make bigger targets. They only need to start one small IV for your surgery, after you are asleep, they can put in a bigger one if needed.
It shouldn't affect your surgery, not to worry about.
Good Luck to you.
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

joanna_an

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

Thank you both for your input.. One worry out the window.. :)
31 years old female
Left AN 18x16x13mm diagnosed on the 17th of October 2013
21mm on the 19th of February 2014
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:37:41 am »
You can attempt to drink extra water the day before surgery to make yourself well hydrated.

Drinking water always helps hydrate your veins; caffeine typically has the opposite effect so stay away from Coke, Pepsi, coffee, etc.

Also, while drinking extra water the day before surgery is a great idea, make sure you follow your doc's "rules" about when to stop drinking (and eating) prior to surgery.  These rules are hard and fast - and vital - to prevent "issues" while you are under anesthesia.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways