Author Topic: Fractionated Linac Treatment Starts Tomorrow  (Read 5504 times)

EJ from down under

Fractionated Linac Treatment Starts Tomorrow
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:43:44 am »
Well the day has finally arrived. My family and I travel from our small town of Huntly, NZ, to Dunedin to undergo treatment on this nasty little growth I have in my head. Treatment starts tomorrow. We will be in Dunedin about 6 weeks.
Dunedin is the only place in NZ where Stereotactic radiotherapy is done.
The treatment that the team down there believes is best for me is 25 low powered doses (about 2gys each) via their Linac (Novalis) machine. They believe this is the best way of preserving the hearing I have in my ear and the safest treatment since the tumour is touching the brain stem. My wife and I flew down to the hospital last week to have the cage fitted and scans taken in preparation for the treatment. All the staff were very friendly and answered all my questions. I left there confident in their ability.
I want to thank the ANA for the excellent website and all you who have have posted your experiences and expressions.
Wish me well!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Fractionated Linac Treatment Starts Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
EJ ~

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a complication-free and very successful radiation treatment.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:55:16 pm »

Very best wishes for a successful outcome EJ...you have that all important element of trust in those that are in charge of your treatment and we look forward to learning of your experience as you progress.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:59 pm »
EJ,

I'm on my 11th treatment of 27.  We'll have to keep each other posted.  My tumor is deep in the canal, not near the brain or cochlea. 

So far, I don't have any problems.  I travel 2 to 3 hours one way each day and still work a few hours a day.

I pray during the entire treatment.  Take Care. 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

coinman

• A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:09 am »
EJ,
I have just completed 26 FSR treatments that ended 12/05/13. The treatments were quick and painless. I did become nauseous and have headaches after  the third week. My doctor put me on Dexamethasone and that quickly ended my symptoms.I worked a full time job the entire time and only missed a few hours each day for treatments.
 Wishing you well.

2.1 cm left side
hearing loss , tinnitus, some balance issues
FSR 26 treatments  ending 12/05/13.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »
Good luck!  Hope all goes well  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJ from down under

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
Well 3 treatments completed, 22 to go. All seems to be going OK. No loss of energy, no headaches...yet! The ringing in the ears seems to have got loader; at least I think it has. Fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:26 am »
Great start EJ...hang in there... have a relaxing Christmas and hoping 2014 is a very successful year for you.

Best Wishes

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sandrawoody

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
Good luck Ej,

From an aussie just across the way.
 l too have remaining hearing, despite having had surgery to remove my tumour, and l would dearly love to hang onto it.

My radiation oncologist here in Australia has suggested to me one single does SRS, it sounds like FSR would be better to try and preserve hearing.
Still researching my options, thank you for sharing your information. It allows us to go and ask more questions of our doctors, after all , we are the ones living with the consequences.

Onwards and upwards.

lystgl

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
Well 3 treatments completed, 22 to go. All seems to be going OK. No loss of energy, no headaches...yet! The ringing in the ears seems to have got loader; at least I think it has. Fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

How did the treatments go? Postings stopped after 3? I too, am considering fractionated radiation therapy and would like to know if all went well.