Author Topic: How to cope with pulsatile tinnitus  (Read 2511 times)

Anne S B

How to cope with pulsatile tinnitus
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »
It is exactly four months since I had Cyber Knife for my AN.  It hasn't been a terrific four months of recovery, but over all I have been able to cope.  Now, however, a new, annoying symptom has begun.  I have had tinnitus since before my tumor was discovered, but it was mainly low static, and I was able to overlook it most of the time.  Now, on top of the usual static I am experiencing cricket like chirps.  They are not regularly spaced - sometimes they come every five or six seconds, but other times the interval is longer.  I am trying not to become obsessed with the noise, but so far I am not doing well.  At night I turn a sound machine up to its' highest volume, which helps with sleep.  Does anyone have a suggestion for enduring this?

Nannybee

Re: How to cope with pulsatile tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:50:34 pm »
Hi Anne. I am experiencing the same symptoms, variable bursts of a buzzing sound in my AN ear on top of the constant high-pitched tinnitus that is usually there. I wish I had an answer for you. My doctor thinks the nerve is firing haphazardly and it's driving me crazy day and night. I've resorted to wearing my hearing aids at night (Phonak Audeo Q's) and playing music through them directly into my ears at night. It's the only way I've been able to get any sleep.
Some days are worse than others and I hope for both of us that this is temporary.
NB

AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

Anne S B

Re: How to cope with pulsatile tinnitus
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:27:23 pm »
Thank you so much for replying, and for giving me something to consider.  It's always nice to know others appreciate exactly what one is going through.  Although I have known about my AN for over a year, I still feel like a novice.  In February I have my MRI to check the tumor six months after my Cyber Knife surgery.  Until then I take one day at a time.