Author Topic: My short journey so far  (Read 3026 times)

mommy2michaelandleah

My short journey so far
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
I am new to the forum, and recently diagnosed.  My story seemed so bizarre to me, until I started lurking through the boards.  I've only been peeking around for a few weeks, but I already feel like I've found a place where all of the crazy things that seem to come along with this diagnosis are common place.  It's a reassuring feeling for sure.  I am a 38 yo married mother of two beautiful children with a job in healthcare finance.

My story starts in March 2013.  I was around 32 weeks pregnant when I woke up with fullness in my right ear.  I attributed it to ongoing ear infections that seem to crop up every few months for me.  My OB seemed unconcerned about the plugged up feeling I was having, and quite honestly, I had other issues I was dealing with related to the pregnancy.  I was a scheduled induction at 37 weeks and 1 day because of preeclampsia.  I gave birth to my second child, a sweet baby girl, in mid April.  I'd started noticing that the hearing in my right ear wasn't quite right shortly before the induction and again blew it off as a recurring infection.  I'd be in my minivan with my 3 year old son, sitting behind me and know he said something, but not be able to discern exactly what it was without turning my head towards him.  Life with a toddler and newborn took over and I finally got to my ENT at the end of May still with the fullness and loss of hearing in the right ear.  He checked everything out, ears clear, hearing test passed with flying colors.  He thought potentially that the tubes may be "junked up" with something related to the post partum hormones.  Long story short, I continued to see him every 4-6 weeks trying different OTC meds to releive congestion, etc.  At the end of July my mom received a breast cancer diagnosis and I decided to wean the baby so I could get my mammogram.  ENT said if it was pregnancy related it would clear up 8-12 weeks after weaning.  Well it didn't.  Finally ordered me for an MRI, after fighting with my insurance company to cover it.  Had my MRI 11/7.  He called me two days later on a Saturday night at 530pm.  Told me I had a 2.8 cm x 2.1 cm acoustic neuroma.  He would see me in his office Tuesday morning.  Such began this short, but crazy journey.  He referred me to Jefferson because that's where he sends all of his patients that he can't treat.  Insurance was immediatly an issue.  I very quickly made the determination that no matter what the cost, I would seek the care we felt best suited our situation and then fight with the insurance company to cover it.

I had consultations with Dr. Willcox at Jefferson, Drs. Lee and Bigelow at Penn/HUP, and two in network consults because insurance required I see a neurosurgeon and other ENT.  All ultimately recommended surgery, given the size, location, and general outcomes.  My decisiion was to have surgery at HUP in February with Dr. Lee and Dr. Bigelow.  The in network neurosurgery recommended the most expensive option, mainly because I beleive he doesn't have the skill to try and totally remove this tumor.  He recommended a subtotal resection followed by gamma.  When I presented this to my insurance company, and simply pointed out that they were already on the hook for 2x the cost of surgery, they approved for me to seek care at Penn covered at 100% in network benefits which amounts to a small deductible and $100 per diem for inpatient.  AWESOME NEWS!   

So now the countdown to surgery is on.  Preparations are underway to have help (my wonderful - now cancer free - mother) with us post op to help with my care and especially the care of my two babies.  I am worried about the lifting restrictions in particular.  I am worried about my three year seeing Mommy not at her best.  I am worried about so many things.  But in the end I know that it will work out how it's supposed to work out and will deal with whatever is put in front of me the best I can. 

I welcome any good wishes, prayers, or thoughts on my journey.  I thank you all for this wonderful forum.

Suzie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My short journey so far
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:31:53 pm »
Hi, Suzie ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forums and thank you for your kind words of appreciation and your comprehensive, compelling account of your AN journey to date.

As you appear to have the situation well in hand my only comments on your AN surgery recovery are that your hospital stay should be five days if no complications arise.  Once back home, you'll be fatigued for a week or so but I suspect that your two little ones will be sufficient motivation for you to get back into your routine. Post-op lifting is restricted but within a specific time frame and shouldn't be too much of an obstacle for you and your new baby.  You'll appreciate whatever help you have, especially from your mother.  Returning to work is generally six weeks post-op but your doctor (and the actual pace of your recovery) will be the determining factor.  Obviously, I'm offering generalizations, not specifics.

I underwent a partial resection of a large (4.5 cm) AN followed by 26 FSR treatments and, long story short, it worked out fine.  No post-op complications, rapid recovery and the radiation was uneventful but the desired outcome was achieved (tumor died).  That was seven years ago and I was in otherwise good health but 25 years older than you are.  I'm confident that this will work out well for you.   

Thanks again for visiting and sharing your AN experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »
Hi Suzie...

Many thanks for your comprehensive account to date and my goodness you certainly have had a lot to contend with of late. You appear to have found a medical team in whom you have complete confidence which is all important and your mature acceptance of your situation indicates a strength of character that will ensure that you have a successful outcome. In the pre surgery interim try your best to remain calm and focused because acoustic neuromas just love stress! I am so pleased at the great news that your mother has been given the 'all clear' and that she will be there to support you and your two wee ones.

Have a great Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
Kris, another of our members (ksiwek) had a similar story.  She found out about her AN when she was pregnant and had to be induced (healthy baby boy).  After that she had surgery @ HEI w/Dr Freidman, then went on to have a BAHA implant w/Dr. Battista @ Ear Institute of Chicago.

Ultimately Kris gave birth to twins (healthy boy and girl) and is an advocate for Dr. Friedman's new practice as well as for Octicon (the makers of her BAHA) - in addition to her paying job and her duties as wife and mom  :)

You may want to connect with her; you probably have a lot in commen.  I'm not sure how often Kris is on the Forum, but I know she's on Facebook - or you could always PM her. 

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TexasSprinter

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »
Suzie--sorry to hear about your diagnosis but I'm glad to hear you have an excellent medical team lined up. I am a married father of four (2, 4, 6, and 8) and the post-surgery lifting restrictions were and are a challenge when there are little monkeys running around the house. My mom flew in to help with the surgery and recovery and my wife has worked nonstop to handle the things I cannot.  Glad to hear your cancer-free mom will be there to help. Don't worry about your 3 year old seeing you not at your best. I have had two AN surgeries in the past year, and my kids were all very interested in my big "boo boo" scars on my head. We sent pictures home for them to see before I came home so that they would not be surprised about my new zipper-head look. Happy holidays to you, and please keep us posted on how things go.

Scott

TexasSprinter

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:26:39 pm »
Well somehow 8 got turned into a smiley face on my last post. My oldest is eight.