Author Topic: Can't wear my glasses post-surgery  (Read 2949 times)

FinnMama

Can't wear my glasses post-surgery
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
It's been almost 2 years since my surgery and I'm surprised how the surgery scar is still sensitive to touch. If I sleep on the surgery side, my scar is sore after that.
I normally wear glasses and wore them after my surgery. But 4 months after my surgery my scar started to feel really sore and I showed it to my family doctor. The scar looked normal so we thought nothing of it. Then the pain went away too. And a few days later on a Friday night my husband and I were getting ready to go to sleep and I felt something wet around my scar. So my husband looked and was shocked to see all this puss flowing out of a little hole on the scar. A lot of it. We rushed to the ER and the doctor there said it was an infection under the scar. They gave me antibiotics straight to my vein for the next 4 days.
My guess is it must have been my glasses arm rubbing against the scar. I never got the hold of my neurologist to ask. That's a whole other story I won't get into now. Since this scary experience I haven't used my glasses. Has anybody else had this type of problem? Can I ever again use glasses regularly? I used to have contact lenses in my younger years, but my eyes have become more sensitive with age and I think contacts won't be an option anymore.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Can't wear my glasses post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:53 pm »
Hi, FinnMama ~

This seems a bit unusual.  My AN surgery incision healed in a few months and became relatively desensitized within about nine months.  I can sleep on the 'scar side' (my left) and wear sunglasses with no problem. 

In your case, I suspect the that incision site infection found four months post-op may be the culprit. You should consult a doctor, of course, but if the incision has healed (as it should after two years) wearing your glasses should not be a problem.  However, if there is something hindering the incision from completely healing you need to know that - and address it.   Once the wound has completely, normally healed, wearing glasses should be permissible.  Again, this is a question to ask a physician who will inspect the scar and be able to tell you if it has healed properly - or not.  If not, you'll need to find out why and once that has been addressed, you should enjoy normal healing, at last.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
See if you can find an optician that can make you a pair of pince nez for your prescription.

No joke.

Might be a good way to get relief without going back to contact lenses.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:50 pm »
Sounds unusual for sure, maybe a stitch abscess?  Maybe see a dermatologist to take a closer look to see why so sensitive. There may be ways to De-sensitize the area.

FinnMama

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »
Thank you for your replies!
I have now found a solution to my wearing glasses problem. I found a great, very informative optometrist who told me about rubber coated cable temples that can replace the ear pieces on the frames. As long as the frames have a thin metal arm where the tip can be removed. They usually market these for kids or others who need their glasses to stay put really well. The cable temples cost only about $5. My problem is now over since these cable temples fit right around the back of my ears and won't cross my scar and rub against it.