Author Topic: Switching Dr.'s?  (Read 1464 times)

Dana D

Switching Dr.'s?
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »
Hi Everyone, I'm new to using this so I apologize if my posts are a bit naive....Anyway, just to give some history about me I had an acoustic neuroma removed June 23, 2004 via behind the ear (I forget what that's called) and I lost my hearing, in addition to having several other post-op complications.  My most recent issue was that I was having pain at the surgical site after almost 10 years which I was concerned about.  I was able to get in to see the physician who did my surgery within a short amount of time, and they wanted me to have an MRI prior to my appt.  Long story short - I had an MRI at a facility that was different from where I'd had my previous MRI's because with my insurance it was going to be more than twice as much if I had it at the original place.  Well this caused an issue, my doctor basically yelled at me and said "I can't compare this (MRI) to your previous ones because it was done with a different method"-I had no idea this would be the case and when I talked to the office person who coordinates the MRI's and insurance she did not mention this would be a problem.  I felt angry, scared and confused, my doctor said I don't see any new growth but I can't really tell you anymore than that and it was in a very condescending matter like I was a real pain in the a**.  He also said that the person who helped me coordinate the MRI told me that it had to be at the original place where I had the MRI-which she didn't.  It made me seem like I was just being ignorant or something.  It has been a few months now and I've calmed down a bit, but I was very upset at the time.  I've considered switching Dr.'s but I don't know if that's the answer.  Anyone have some good advice or suggestions? 

Thank you, I feel up in the air with this.