Author Topic: Post-Op - 24 year old  (Read 3185 times)

RyanMeakes

Post-Op - 24 year old
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
Hi all, I just wanted to share my story and hopefully offer some encouragement for people yet to have their operation.

I'm currently recovering at home after having a 1.5cm tumour removed about 2 weeks ago. I was let out of hospital 2 days after my operation.

A couple of things to mention post-op; My hearing in my right ear has completely gone which does feel weird but I expected that. My face has no paralysis which I was most worried about, and was the first question I asked after waking up! My dizziness has virtually stopped, at first I felt very dizzy when sitting up and walking. 1 downside is that I suffer throbbing headaches when I wake up in the mornings but it does seem to be improving & of course taking tablets eases the pain.

The only actual pain straight after the op was the right side of neck where the doctors moved around with the neck muscle (I think) which I didn't expect. That disappeared after about a week.

I do feel lucky that everything went smoothly. I should be back to work within a month once the headaches stop (and once I find my car key but that's a different story). Maybe being young has worked to my advantage. But I just want people that are worrying about having the op to read this & take comfort that I was home after 2 days & that I can now forget about this stupid acoustic neuroma. Try not to panic, easy for me to say now.

If anyone has any questions please get in touch & I'll be happy to answer  :)

Fran6774

Re: Post-Op - 24 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »
Hi!  Newbie here.  25 year-old just diagnosed with a 2.5 cm acoustic neuroma.  Scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Stories like these give us all strength to pull through. Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery very soon.

Fran

TexasSprinter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear about success stories.

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »
Congratulations on beginning a great recovery! Keep us informed how the weeks go for you. I was so busy at home while I was off, it was actually easier to be back at work! Good luck! Karen

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 01:38:00 pm »
My hearing in my right ear has completely gone which does feel weird but I expected that.

Look into a BAHA (bone-anchored hearing aid); they work wonders  ;D

Sounds like your recovery is going well; hope the headaches leave you soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:13:40 pm »
Hi, Ryan ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and continuing recovery.  Your post is definitely encouraging and much appreciated.  Please try to post updates as your time permits.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:28:43 pm »
Hi Ryan!! Thank  you for the encouraging report of your recovery!  I was surprised to see you got out of the hospital so quick...2 days? That's pretty good!  Just don't overdo it because sometimes there will be set-backs if one rushes things, in other words listen to your body! Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

RyanMeakes

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:04 am »
Thanks everyone for your comments...I saw my doctor today & he said I will be fine to go back to work tomorrow (exactly 6 weeks after)

My headaches (which are quite mild now) should go within a couple of weeks.

I am still getting used to being deaf on one side but I'm sure it will feel normal after a while. Thanks Jan for mentioning the BAHA I may look into that if it does cause me problems.