Author Topic: Cyber Knife in Pittsburgh  (Read 3030 times)

sarahinPA

Cyber Knife in Pittsburgh
« on: February 28, 2014, 11:39:52 am »
Just a little information for those considering CyberKnife at UPMC Pittsburgh.
I am an employee here and this came through my email, and I felt I should pass it along to all of you! ( I am also AN patient, both with Gamma Knife and Surgery @ UPMC)

New CyberKnife Technology at UPMC Shadyside
The Department of Radiation Oncology is enhancing its stereotactic radiosurgery capabilities and expanding the number of patients eligible for radiosurgery with the addition of the CyberKnife® M6™ System at Mary Hillman Jennings Radiation Oncology Center at UPMC Shadyside. The CyberKnife M6 is the first system of its kind in western Pennsylvania designed to treat cancerous and non-cancerous tumors anywhere in the body.
The CyberKnife M6 allows our clinicians to offer radiosurgery treatment to a number of patients once considered ineligible for radiosurgery. The CyberKnife M6 System joins our already expansive array of radiation delivery platforms, including Gamma Knife® radiosurgery, pioneered by UPMC neurosurgeons in 1987; image-guided radiosurgery via the Trilogy™ system; and Novalis® TrueBeam™ STx, which allows our clinicians to deliver targeted, high doses of radiation in less time than conventional accelerators, using real-time imaging and advanced technology. Our technology, expertise, and treatment volumes make us one of the nation’s leading radiosurgery programs.
Using these platforms, our clinicians treat the following cancers and other (select) non-cancerous tumors:
•   Brain
•   Lung
•   Spine
•   Head and neck
•   Prostate
•   Pancreas
•   Liver
•   Gynecologic
•   Variety of recurrent and inoperable tumors
•   Oligometastasis
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.