Author Topic: Barometric Pressure and Headaches  (Read 7955 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Barometric Pressure and Headaches
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:23:23 pm »
OK, Folks here it is--the long awaited thread on those rainy-day headaches that alot of us have.  Mine are better, but at about years 1 thru 3, low barometric pressure just about did me in!! They were the wake-up-in-the-morning-type brainwrecks that sent me to bed for 3-4 days.  We live at high altitude, which makes it even WORSE!!  I was totally ready to move back to sea-level (as is beachfront sea-level) until a year or so ago when they started easing off a bit. Anyway, share away!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Barometric Pressure and Headaches
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:10:41 pm »
Since my radio treatment, I can say that when cold fronts have moved through New England over the past few months, the headaches have been terrible and some have even had me leave work early just to get home and lay down.  I know barometric pressure can affect a body that has experienced broken bones, but for AN (pre and post treatment), I can attest to post-treatment direct affect. I've been journaling it and do show a correlation (for me).

anyone else?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 05:59:33 pm »
Correlation? heck, I've become the weather predictor. I start getting all wonkyheaded and the the headache coming on, within about 12 hours, we have a storm. Don't need to tune into the weather channel, just give me a call. Sometimes I thnk, "why am I feeling so crummy?" then the storm rolls in, Oh yea that's it.  Or sometimes I go running the my barometer to see if the pressure is dropping to comfirm why my head feels like a pressure cooker. Living at 7200' elevation doesn't help the situation.
 Yep!, the barometric pressure goes down, and I start walking like I've had a few too many. (too bad that's not how I got that way)
Phil, when they did your radio treatment, maybe they installed a radio antenna, and you can just detect the storms more
hee hee hee

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:05:41 am »
I'm one of the lucky ones that does not get headaches very often but I do know when the weather is about to make a drastic change by the dull ache in my right sinus. Now if someone could just explain to me why the sinus hurts and not the area around the surgery?! That has had me baffled for 2+ years.  I figure that I'm as accurate as the fools on local tv. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Static

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:11:21 am »
I get headaches daily but when the weather is changing I want to go crawl into a hole and come out when its over!  Tinnitus gets extremely worse as well.  Been going through some dental headaches lately but going to contact my ENT for an appt because tinnitus is beginning in my hearing ear as well.  I was hoping I'd be doing better than this at almost three years out but I am in the worse health I've been in all my life!  Doc appt at the end of the week for tests to rule out typical things that would cause extreme fatigue.  I also can't have a single thought, too many things jump into my head at once or nothing at all (one can probably tell by some of or lack of posts).  Anybody else go/going through anytihng like this?
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:21:02 pm »
Gee, I feel bad .. the bad weather days are when I feel the best! ... I've also been blessed without headaches, but have dry eye issues .. and when I fishing in the rain .. I dont need drops, in fact my eye feels like new!   ;D.. but have a bright sunny day and low humidity, I've living on drops again ...  >:(

Patti, you live at 7200 feet? .. your up in the clouds!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 05:22:49 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 07:23:13 pm »
I have terrible eye, ear and sinus pain (always one-sided) when the weather is about to change. The pain starts the day before and the lasts for 2-3 days. I feel like such a zombie when it hits and then so fatigued once it's over. I thought it was a migraine, but my doctor tells me it is a cluster headache.

Now, if I could only predict earthquakes, that would be something really special.

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 03:41:04 am »
Rain (or snow) does set off my headaches and they will last for 3 or 4 days once they set in reguardless of the weather, nothing helps. Lately the headaches will make me feel like I'm going to pass out. I did see a neurologist about these, she feels it is migraine headaches and has nothing to do with the tumor "that isn't causing you anymore headaches" (I guess she's never had brain surgery to know the pain that continues long after the surgery)!

Karen: I too have been having ringing in my hearing ear, I am too afraid to have it checked into and haven't mentioned it to anyone, not even my husband.....the poor guy has only enjoyed one year relieve of my worry about the regrowth situation, gotta give him a break.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 04:57:13 pm »
Karen and Kathleen - I have been very worried also, in the last few months I have developed tinnitus in the good ear. It comes on suddenly and last for several minutes. It actually drowns out the tinnitus that is on the AN side. It may happen 3-4 times per week. I did have an MRI in Feb. and everything was fine. I have not told anyone either.

Karen - Are your iron levels being tested?  I have been dealing with extreme fatigue and my blood work showed I was very anemic. My level was acutally at 2. Since taking iron I am feeling much better. I don't know how old you are, but peri-menopause takes a big hit in the fatigue department too. Since last November, I have been feeling crappy and it has been one thing after another :(

cheryl
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 06:54:28 am »
Karen: I was recently worked up about my severe fatigue, the only abnormal bloodwork results were a low estrogen level....I'm peri-menopausal at 38 but going on the estrogen hasn't helped the fatigue. I also had a sleep study done, at night it took me four hours to reach REM sleep so they figure this is the cause of the fatigue because rarely at night am I left alone that long never mind any longer. The doctor suggests I reach REM sleep quicker when I sleep in the day (Or I'd be more than just fatigued) and therefor when I'm on my working days (I should say working nights) I get adequate sleep. He said it's all the working nights over the past 19-20 years that has reprogrammed my hypothalmus (get more brain damage to add to the list) and other than giving up night shift the only thing I can do is take sleeping pills when I want or need to sleep at night.
Have you had a sleep study done? I initially requested it wondering if I had sleep apnea and that was the fatigue problem.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:03:38 am »
Gosh,

I haven't done the comparison of headache to weather but I will watch for it. A little hard in Sydney because the climate is very temperate.

Cheryl, watch that iron level. 2 is really low - start pumping those steaks down ya. My eldest daughter has a real problem with low iron but she is an exercise junkie which doesn't help her tiredness either. I know its off the thread a little but we have done a lot of research into iron and meat is the best, the absorption rate for non meat items that are high in iron is very low. You can take iron tablets - make sure you have them with vitamin C and no coffee (cafeine negates the effect).  It's important to have good energy levels with headaches coz they make ya feel rotten so if your energy levels are low, you'll feel worse. Get that level up kiddo.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 10:04:28 pm »
Karen, Cheryl and Kathleen,
          I'm sorry I'm reading this. Ringing in the good ear now, and not telling anyone?  I too have been having it in my good ear,  it comes and goes, but like cheryl, it kind of comes on so loud that it drowns out the constand tingging in the An ear a bit. I too have not mentioned it to anyone. I think maybe because I don't want to believe I am hearing it. Cheryl when you had your most recent MRI, did they only check the AN side for regrowth, or were you able to get teh whole head looked at?
Karen,  I understand exactly what you are referring to about the brain confusion that goes on, especially when the storms are moving through. I feel ,like I can't focus on a single thought. My thoughts bounce around, almost like I'm trying to hld a conversation with myself (in my head) but I can't follow it at all. And why is it that the headaches that come on when a storm is coming in last 2-4 days even if the storm moves through and the sun comes out?? That's just not fair. Having thunder, lightning, rain, and hail right now. My head is feeling JUST GREAT! OMG!

Joef.  Yes 7200 ft up is in the clouds. Used to be a great place to be when I could ski. Utah has the lightest powder splenda
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

matti

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 10:42:22 pm »
Patti - Yes, I had the full scan with contrast and everything was normal, except for some newly discovered sinus polyps on the AN side.

cheryl
Life is great at 50