Author Topic: Did anyone change their diet once they were diagnosed?  (Read 9423 times)

iz2014

Did anyone change their diet once they were diagnosed?
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:38:37 am »
Hi there,

I live in the UK. I was diagnosed yesterday. Since then I have been trying to eat super healthy to prepare my body for surgery or whatever treatment I may be offered. I have heard of a lot of people going macrobiotic or organic with their diets when diagnosed with malignant tumors/cancer, and have heard it works well alongside treatment. Have any of you gone super healthy even with benign tumors? Will it help slow the growth of an AN?

Hokiegal

Re: Did anyone change their diet once they were diagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
Hi!  I did change my diet post-surgery, but it was because I had facial paralysis that lasted for a while, and I developed a semi-irrational fear of choking.  So I avoided meats and other things that required a lot of chewing.  But even after my facial function began to return, and I got over the choking fear, I found myself choosing healthier foods because I thought it might aid in the recovery process -- couldn't hurt, right?  My doctors encouraged me to take in a lot of protein and vitamins B and E to boost my energy level (I had lost a lot of weight at that point -- most of which I needed to lose).  It's been 2+ years now and I'm much better overall, but I still think in terms of "eat to live", or making healthier selections.  Pre-AN, I "lived to eat".  I haven't gone to extremes; just trying to make better food choices and feeling better for it. 

On a similar note, if I could have one do-over, I would have taken an extra few months prior to surgery to really get in shape.  I work a desk job, was carrying about thirty extra pounds, and was not physically active.  I ended up with some balance issues, and have worked hard since to develop and maintain my abdominal core strength.  The physical therapist started me on an exercise regimen, and I continued with Pilates afterwards.  I think if I had been in physically better shape at surgery, my recovery might have been easier.  But that's just my opinion.  Every case is different, and chances are you will not experience those issues.  But I encourage you to continue thinking in terms of self-care.  Have no idea if it helps with tumor growth rate, but just knowing you are doing all you reasonably can to improve your physical health seems to give a mental boost as well. 

Oh, one more thing.  This may be TMI, but they wouldn't release me from the hospital until I had a BM.  Why, I don't know; I mean, that's not the end they operated on.  But pain killers are notorious for causing constipation.  Diet and probiotics can help in that regard.

Hope this helps.  I am glad that you have found this forum.  There's a lot to take in with this diagnosis, so keep asking questions.  All the best to you!
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

iz2014

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:21:00 am »
Thanks for you advice Hokiegal,

I will do some exercise too. When I had my cesarean I too wasn't allowed to go home until a BM. Going to go and make myself another Green tea now lol! 

Thanks again.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:57:02 am »
Never changed my diet because I eat the right way all the time. We have a rule in our house...if it was not alive at some time, don't eat it. We cheat every one in a while but it is rare when we do. Lots of fruit, nuts, beans, veggys, etc. Desert is usually an apple and some walnuts or almonds. I exercise every day. This morning I lifted weights and ran on my treadmill. 64 years old and I can do 10 overhand pullups.

Diet and exercise will keep you healthy AND it will help you recover.

James

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »
if it was not alive at some time, don't eat it.

Unless you eat rocks and sand and drink manmade chemical fluids, everything was alive at some time or other.

;D
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Petrone

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »

Jack, one would assume James means that they don't eat a lot of Cheetos and Skittles, which to my knowledge, were never alive at any time.  Stick to your healthy diet, James. 
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

james e

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:14 am »
Petrone is correct. For breakfast this morning I had strawberries, blueberries, a banana, almonds, walnuts, yogurt, and grapefruit juice. No cheerios or pancakes. I am not fanatical about it, but it makes a big difference in your health. I love a hamburger, white bun included, but it is not something I eat every day. No soft drinks, ever.

Will it slow down the growth of your AN? Tumors have a mind of their own and I have no idea if it will help slow the growth. However, you will have a life, post tumor, and it will serve you well to live a healthy life style.

For lunch today, dried figs, an apple, and some walnuts. Dinner is grilled salmon and a cabbage salad with carrots, pine nuts, olives and a snickers bar...only kidding about the snickers.

James

Ruthie Mac

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »
I have just been referred to some books by Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neurosurgeon who runs a private nutritional practice. I just purchased 2 of his books "Health and Nutrition Secrets that can save your life" and "Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients" I think he also has some online newsletters.
He has studied various types of abnormal cells and has suggestions for diet and supplements that can detox the body from the toxins we have been exposed to from chemicals in our food and environment. He's really against a lot of the food additives that are often hidden like MSG, aspartame, cysteine, & hydrolyzed protein. I was surprised by one that is often found in health foods (carrageenan) which is in most brands of almond & coconut milk. 
I try to eat as many organic vegetables & fruits as possible, but, beyond that, I don't want to get overly paranoid. It's fun to go out for dinner and not overanalyze every ingredient. And I still need a cocktail now and then - helps me relax!
I am going to finish these books, though, and especially look into the supplements that can help with post-radiation and boosting immunity, which is good for everyone in this stressful world.
Ruth
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

iz2014

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »
Wow James, you have a great diet, it's encouraged me to keep my new healthy diet up.  :)

Ruthie Mac... those books sound great, might have a Google for them or similar books. My husband is ordering me a macrobiotics cookery book too.

Looking forward to eating more variety and feeling better for it.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:42 pm »
I try to look at it this way - if it comes from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't eat it! 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

james e

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:17 pm »
Healthy meals are lots of fun. Tonight I am cooking in a Moroccan tagine oven. Cinnamon chicken with onions, garlic, olives, raisins and some rice. Lunch today is a glass of V8 and some walnuts, cranberries and raisins.

But first, I have to go work out...

James

Mickey

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »
I did a complete health change over...  I eat well, exercise plentiful, looked up various supplements (most important) and started taking them. All this going into my 7th year W+W and actually feeling and doing better than when first diognosed. Best wishes, W+W brigade, Mickey

iz2014

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:15:35 am »
Loving how much more satisfied I am with my new diet.

Mikey- what supplements do you take?

I take high strength zinc, vitamin B complex, cod liver oil plus calcium, 1000-2000mg of effervescent vit C a day, and cranberry extract.

I read that taking evening primrose oil, fish oils and vitamin e before surgery can interfere with blood clotting so I'm avoiding those.

alabamajane

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »
All sounds good,, one word of caution especially if you are pre-surgery,, be sure and tell Dr about all OTC supplements as they can affect bodies differently and are far from "harmless",, the Dr may want to run liver function tests occasionally also,, had friend on quite a few supplements and in course of regular checkup found liver enzymes rising over several mos,, she cut out all supplements just to see and enzymes came back to normal range,, so something to just think about,, I am not a medical professional BTW ,,,,,just an opinion
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

iz2014

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »
Thanks, will tell my doctor. Interesting about liver enzymes.