Author Topic: Translab Surgery Scheduled for May  (Read 3232 times)

Boxer Mooch

Translab Surgery Scheduled for May
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »
I have an acoustic neuroma in my right ear which is fairly small, roughly 8x8mm. I have lost all serviceable hearing (scored a 0% in that ear in my most recent test) and have some fullness in that ear. To date, I have no other symptoms.

I have decided to move forward with surgery and am hopeful for a successful outcome and recovery. I feel as though I am cutting my losses before the tumor grows and causes other issues.

I am 40, in good shape, and have no other health conditions/history.

My question to anyone that will respond is regarding facial paralysis/facial nerve issues. What is the likelihood that I will have facial nerve issues post-operation? The surgeon is confident that, based on the location and size, that the impact will be minimal, if at all. The larger worries from what they have told me is CSF leakage, balance, and SSD.

I fully understand that everyone's circumstance is unique, however, I find each personal account to be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Translab Surgery Scheduled for May
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:41:59 am »
Hi, Boxer ~

Unfortunately, there is no credible method of predicting facial nerve damage due to AN surgery.  The small size of your tumor is in your favor but until the surgeons can actually see and address the AN, no serious predictions can be made,although I wish we could. 

I think every AN surgical patient has this concern (facial paralysis).  I certainly did.  My concern was amplified by the fact that I was diagnosed with a 4.5 cm tumor that was pressing on my brain stem.  Like you, I had lost all hearing in the affected ear and, as you might expect, I had other symptoms.

In my case, the neurosurgeon had 30+ years of experience with the surgical removal of acoustic neuromas and he promised to do his utmost to help me avoid facial paralysis.  He opted to 'de-bulk' my large AN, leaving a little over 2.5 cm (to be radiated, later) but in the process, peeling off layers of the tumor, making it much more vulnerable to the effects of the 26 FSR treatments I underwent three months later.  Going in, like you, I was healthy (but 20+ years older).

Long story short; the surgery went fine and I suffered no facial paralysis or even a headache.  My symptoms disappeared, immediately.  The radiation was uneventful and today, almost eight years later, I'm doing fine, although I remain SSD, as was expected (I cope).

I offer my account of AN surgery on a much larger tumor in a man much older than you to demonstrate that these daunting surgeries can have a good outcome.  In my case, I give much credit to, in this order, prayer and a very skilled, experienced neurosurgeon who cared about my quality of life, post-op. 

I wish you the same good outcome but should any facial paralysis occur, remember that it is usually temporary and can be alleviated with facial therapy.

Of course, you'll have the support of the folks on this forum so please try to keep us updated, if you can.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:54 am »
While there are no guarantees in his surgery, the odds are in your favor for a favorable outcome.
The smaller the tumor, the better your chances of full facial nerve recovery. Also important is the experience of the surgeon. In fact a Harvard medical school paper states the most important factors in a good outcome from this surgery are tumor size and surgeon experience.
With such a relatively small tumor, radiation is possible and facial complication rates are low. For example, at Univ of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Dr Lundsford, the facial palsy rate is 1% and that 1% is transient. You have choices if you want them. With either surgery or radiation you will in all probability be fine. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Boxer Mooch

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:35 am »
Thank you both for the quick response.

I weighed the radiation but the possibility of re-growth sways me toward surgery.

While I have concern, I am accepting of what my outcome may be. I am actually eager to undergo the surgery. This tumor has the potential to be a blessing for me and I pray that I have the ability to grow from the experience.

I have a meeting with the doctor team next week and anticipate a lengthy discussion ahead of the surgery. I have been fortunate to have had two people I know go through the AN experience. One had surgery 15 years ago at age 27 and the other had GK at age 60 eight years ago. Each surgery was a success.

This site and forum are a terrific resource. Thank you both. 

Ned

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:05:39 am »
Ask your surgeon his experience with regrowth after surgery. One of the major reasons I chose radiation over surgery was the chance of regrowth, they can't guarantee they will remove all the cells.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

v357139

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:33 pm »
I had a 3.5cm removed by translab and no facial issues.  So its definitely possible to get a great result.  Best of luck and let us know if you have more questions.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

clere

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:26:58 am »
I believe Boxer Mooch is having surgery today.  Sending wishes for a great outcome!!!