Author Topic: New watch and wait my story  (Read 4264 times)

gracey79

New watch and wait my story
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »
A long time ago I began to have tinnitus, it was not frequent and I heard lots of people had it, so I blew it off, years later it was persistent, but I saw commercials that said it was common and I could try their ear drops.  Well other issues in my life caused me to not trust any medicine made out of unnatural materials, so I decided to deal with it.  My mother also had ringing in her ears...maybe it was a family thing I thought.  My mother was later given an MRI and her MRI showed an AN on the left side.  I learned a lot about AN's at that time and the treatment of them. I decided the ringing in my ears MAY indeed be worth having checked out but I was nursing my 3rd child.  Mid 2013 while pregnant with my 4th child I was diagnosed with Melanoma. The fear of an AN quickly changed to fear of more Melanoma which had spread and was no affecting my brain.  Five months after my 4th child's birth I could no longer stand the pains that had been coming and going more frequently behind my right ear.  I had my hearing tested and they told me I had nerve damage, so me thinking it could have been due to the drag strip where I sat too close to the top fuel cars or the bass I used to listen to in my early 20's, was incorrect.  I was referred to the ENT who was also the surgeon.  He met me and I was smiling and he gave me a look like "Why are you smiling, this is serious."  He talked and found out my mother was his patient and she had an AN.  He referred me for an MRI and assured me that the chances of her AND I both having an AN were like 1 in a million.  After finding out the possible side effects of the contrast dye I denied the dye and then I was denied the test.  I was angry so I called my GP and she met with me a week later and said peace of mind may be worth the few days not bfing my child.  I called the lactation consultants and learned the dye would not get passed on in the milk, so I rescheduled the test for 4/10 and on 4/15/2014 I had enough of waiting so I called the Dr. office and the Dr. called back and told me the news... I had him repeat it, then he scheduled me to meet with him in his office.  My mother went with me and we were both referred to a geneticist.  What is odd about us is we are not the typical NF2, my mother's on the left and mine is on the right.  Also odd is that her's and mine are about the same size, mine is 2.0 x 2.4 x 1.7 cm.   

From the get go I was happy and joking still, but after the last appointment and thinking about how it is pressing on my brain stem and how my children are 13,9,3 and 6months.  I got worried...not for me but for them.not caring for them during recovery, would be soooooo hard on me and them.  I am there 24/7 care giver and NO ONE knows them like I do.  I know I just made myself seem indispensable, and I know children are resilient ...so maybe I need them more than they need me, but they are such a huge part of who I am, and I do, do so much for my family I can't see laundry and dishes, proper meals etc getting done without me at full capacity...so I chose watch and wait, and since then just a couple weeks...I have had more headaches and more dizziness.  Six months seems so far away.  I have gone back to a strict diet like I once was on and I try to stay happy and I pray often.
 :-\ 
Diagnosed 2014 a while after mom was also diagnosed with a slightly smaller AN on opposite side(we are not NF2)
4/14   2.0x2.4x1.7
10/14 1.6x2.2x1.5
6/15   1.5x2.9x1.6
8/16   2.8x2.2x1.5
Watch and wait may be prepping for surgery soon 6/17?
Mom of 5
16,12,5,3, 8m

Echo

Re: New watch and wait my story
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:25 am »
Sorry to hear you are having to struggle with an AN along with raising 4 children!

I spent my first year after diagnosis doing tons of research and giving watch and wait some very serious consideration.  At the end of my first year my AN had grown from 1.8cm to 2.4cm and for various reasons I chose to move forward with Gamma Knife.  Watch your AN closely for growth.  You are still within a size where radiation could be a viable option allowing you an easier recovery period than perhaps surgery, depending of course on your age and personal preference.  Four days after my treatment I was running around taking care of my 88 year old mom who had developed pneumonia. 

Take care,
Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:27 am »
my children are 13,9,3 and 6months.  I got worried...not for me but for them.not caring for them during recovery, would be soooooo hard on me and them.  I am there 24/7 care giver and NO ONE knows them like I do.  I know I just made myself seem indispensable, and I know children are resilient ...so maybe I need them more than they need me, but they are such a huge part of who I am, and I do, do so much for my family I can't see laundry and dishes, proper meals etc getting done without me at full capacity

Jeez, could you be more dramatic?

Start delegating some of that responsibility to your 13 year old and a few things to the 9 year old. That's not too early an age to learn how to take care of the other kids in the family. They'll survive. So will you.

You'll all be better off if you teach your kids to take care of themselves and each other.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Petrone

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »

Really, Jack?  She came here for support (her first post, no less), not to be berated.  If you have nothing positive to say, maybe it's better to keep your thoughts to yourself.   

1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

gracey79

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:16 am »
Thank you for the positive support and the tough...love?  Either way it is hard because I did not have time to put my whole story and no one would read the whole thing anyway.  I do not have to raise the 13 yr old on my own he is with his father in another town except every other weekend and during school breaks, we are a blended family and I was a terrible mother and person and I gave custody to my ex when my son was younger, cause I knew enough to know I wasn't a good mom...but not enough to know I should have been getting help to be one.  No excuses, but if you don't live a person's life you don't know what they went through and how they feel.  Growing up when I did they did not often talk about anxiety, ADHD, ODD, PTSD, Aspergers etc.  Now they do yet there are still people that call it an excuse and think a person can just "get over it" or be medicated and be fine, not the case.  I have not been diagnosed but my older boys have and just seeing what they go through I know where my diagnosis would lay in that area...so maybe I am "dramatic"  it helps in some areas of my life...like writing, which I do. Most people do not stop to think that every person's " flaws" can also be strengths.  I am thankful it seems at least one of us doesn't have to go through this with a separate issue which makes it even harder to make a good decision. 

I do not have a good well oiled support system.  And those who do show support work full time jobs and live an hour and 15min away in a small home. 

So guess I need an AN group for people who have been through lives like mine and have similar issues??? Thank God there is always at least one person who restores faith in fellow human beings.
Diagnosed 2014 a while after mom was also diagnosed with a slightly smaller AN on opposite side(we are not NF2)
4/14   2.0x2.4x1.7
10/14 1.6x2.2x1.5
6/15   1.5x2.9x1.6
8/16   2.8x2.2x1.5
Watch and wait may be prepping for surgery soon 6/17?
Mom of 5
16,12,5,3, 8m