Author Topic: 2 months post-op  (Read 2057 times)

leslierake

2 months post-op
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »
Hello. I am just over 2 months post op for translab surgery. I've been experiencing awful dry eye and right side tongue and facial numbness (I can feel but its diminished/different than normal). I did experience the sensory issues prior to surgery but it was not as bad as it is now.  I also feel like my right cheek is swoolen like a chimpmunk or like Ive had novacain. For those of you who can relate to this, did the dry eye or numbness ever resolve? If so how long did it take? Maybe I am not patient enough but my Dr told me the sensory issues would go away but not so yet.

dukerman

Re: 2 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »
I'm at the same post-op timeline.  Except I had retro-sig for a very large AN on my left.  My face also feels numb.  It felt numb before surgery and worse after.  It "feels" swollen but isn't swollen.  In addition, the roof of my left mouth, tongue and teeth are numb post surgery.

I feel tiny bits of sharp tingles on my numb face.  I'm not sure I will get a lot of feeling back to pre-sugery levels.  I think the sharp tingles are a good pain.  Meaning the nerves are firing?

I sure hope I at least regain more so I can eat normally.  I chew on my good side and often make a mess on my bad side.  I get in the habit of using a napkin after every bite of something sloppy.

I can close my eye 100%.  Not like normal, pre-surgery.  I can close it non-the-less.  Indoors my eye feels like its self lubricating  Outdoors, I have to blink a lot, especially when windy.  I only put in drops at night before bed mostly because it feels good.

I think things are getting better slowly.

LakeErie

Re: 2 months post-op
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:34:33 pm »
I had numbness in my lower face and tongue pre-surgery. It was what led to my diagnosis. The numbness was worse after surgery but gradually improved over the first two and half years of recovery. I still have numbness at 31 months, but it is not as noticable. I think I have just adapted to it. We just get used to things I guess. I do not regard it as a problem  anymore.
Maybe your nerves will heal more completely and faster than mine did. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017