Author Topic: Disability  (Read 7835 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Re: Disability
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:16 pm »
Yeah i really wanna work! lol
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Battyp

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 11:46:53 am »
I want to work as I can make more money but...I need to be retrained for somehting new and that takes time...without some financial help I'll lose my house and my son and I will be box people under the bridge LOL  SSD only cares if you can make 840 a month or more than you're not eligible...wish I could afford to live for 840 a month  LOL

amymeri

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 03:53:07 pm »
I wish there were better retraining programs.  Sometimes people can work (technically) but can't make anything near what they need to live on.  My mom always said that disability is worse than death financially.  I was lucky because my short term disability insurance paid 70% of  my salary for the first 4 months and I could have had long term for the same amount forever if I had needed it.  I NEVER thought I would need disability and thought many times about dropping it...and now we are upping my husbands just in case.

I so wish the programs were better for people.  It seems like a waste of a lot of talent out there.

I think the refuse people in order to weed out people but if you keep on trying and have a good case you should get it.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

viejita

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:53 pm »
I was married to a Md. who works for disability and have seen and heard a lot from his perspective.
First off, the whole thing is like a big "cook book" that spells out just what you have to have ( or lack ) to qualify.
In the case of limbs or spine,etc.. it spells out the exact amount of loss of flexibilty or movement to the degree!
Also, while you may not be able to do your former job but are judged still capable of doing a desk job or something, you won't qualify!
Another unfortunate thing is that basically, the more education you have, the less chance you have of getting help!

Changing the subject a little, I had FSR at JHU in Jan. of '06.  I guess I just had bad luck because I have had a big hearing loss on the AN side and now have major balance problems that I didn't have before.  I was a foreign language teacher and I know that there is no way that I could go back into the classroom. Fortunately, I retired about the time I was dx'd.  Imagine, if I were to have applied for ssd, there is a very big chance that my ex would get my case! :-{

just my 2cents
Susi

Battyp

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:02 pm »
Thanks for your two cents susi! 
Ex getting your case would be a bad thing we'd probably have to make him walk the plank!
I was a teacher but with my balance and cognitive problems I can't go back in the classroom so I'm trying to get retrained for something I can do from home but will need some sort of financial something to get me to that point.  Either that or I need to find a husband willing to support me  LOL