Author Topic: One month post op good and bad  (Read 3640 times)

seandimom

One month post op good and bad
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
Hi all, this is my first post.  I am about one month post surgery for a 2 mm or so an that was removed retrosigmoid.  I have a bad taste in my mouth, many favorite foods taste bad, and my balance is out of whack.  I also have dizziness and nausea but have not vomited since one week post surgery.  I guess the good part is that headaches are relatively mild and I enjoy being outside-- 10 min or so walks in the park do me a lot of good.  My poor husband is exhausted and losing patience.  I think he needs as much or more help than I do.  Thanks--Seandimom

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: One month post op good and bad
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »
Hi seandimom and welcome to this forum!

It sounds like you are about on par with surgical recovery from the removal of an AN.  Keep up the walking, challenging yourself each time ..... but please do it safely.

Your husband might like to take a peek in the Caregivers section of this forum.  Many times it is difficult for the one watching us struggle during recovery.  There are many posts he might find helpful to know when you need help and when you need to try doing it on your own.

Best wishes and many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

seandimom

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:43:56 am »
Dear Clarice, thanks so much for responding to my post.  I'm glad to hear what I'm going through is on par, because of course I have no idea what to expect.  The overall blah feeling and 'not myself' feeling is frustrating, as you know.  I also have lots of burping/indigestion whether I eat or not.   I will try to keep challenging myself, but at a safe level.  One day I think I walked in the park too much--over a mile I think it ended up being--and it was too soon. The next day I was wiped out.    I normally drive an hour to work, several times a week (thankfully not every day).  I have not yet driven.  I'm concerned about that, too.  Thanks again and I hope you are doing well, Seandimom.

Pharm925

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
I did not have retrosigmoid, I had middle fossa done about 3 months ago. I agree with Clarice, you seem to be pretty on par with your recovery. Definitely take it slowly. I started driving again after the appointment with my doctor to check my hearing nearly 7 weeks post-op. Even then, I took it really slowly. I only drove around town very short distances until I was comfortable. It takes a lot to make sure you can whip your head around fast enough for driving. My doctor told me to "practice" driving while being a passenger. Do like you would if you were driving...check other lanes, mirrors, etc to see if you are ready. The balance will get better with time. I find I am pretty close to normal now unless I happen to forget (which I love forgetting about it now, as it use to be a constant thought before surgery!!) and whip my head around too quickly or in the dark I find myself a little more off balance. Again, take your time! Congrats, it seems as though your surgery was pretty uneventful!

Christine
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach
6/6/2014- Hearing test done and AN ear hearing mostly saved!!!
4/2015- MRI 1 year post-op- clean of AN!!! :)

seandimom

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:03 am »
Thanks Christine-- I will take it slowly with regard to driving, and I will start out around town.  Being a passenger in our old van with warn out shock absorbers is really unpleasant. Now to add illness to 'insult' I've caught a bad cold--started as a sore throat and now is sinus congestion.  I know I have to be careful with this--sneezing with mouth open, not blowing nose too hard, etc.  I will try to get my husband to read the caregiver posts--He is doing the best he can but he wants me to get back to my routine of household etc chores and helping my son.  I am just not myself yet  :'(

Pharm925

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »
Aww, I hope you feel better!

The surgery recovery just takes time! You make "look" normal to people, but I definitely know you don't feel that way! My mom came to stay with my husband and I while I was recovering...for a good month. (hubby just loved that ;) ) haha. It was great to have her just do stuff around the house and cook. Even after she left I wasn't back to normal self, just could do the basics to take care of myself while the hubby was at work. We don't have kids yet, so I can't relate there. However, I can imagine it's also hard for you to have to tell him no when he needs you to do something for him. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing!
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach

seandimom

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:06 am »
Thanks Pharm925!  I think I have your username correct.  It's funny how days are good in some ways, wobbly and blah other days.  Sure wish I had someone to clean this place!!  My sense of smell seems very strong or changed now--did you have that?  On another note, years ago I lived in Houston, in the 80's, maybe before you were born!  I loved the wildflowers and the food.  I miss the genuine barbecue, onion rings, Tex-Mex.  Is Goode Company still around?  How about Star Pizza, Cyclone Anayas, Ninfa's, or Gabby's?   I bet most or all are gone by now.  Tell me about Houston.  Thanks, Marianne aka Seandimom

Pharm925

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:55 am »
Hey! Sorry this took so long to respond. I've been so busy! I hope you are doing better day by day! My sense of smell didn't really change, but my taste did for a while! I feel normal again! ("Or maybe I'm use to it now?" is sort of my mantra these days). Anyways, I only moved to Texas from Louisiana in 2009 and yes, I was born in 86. lol Kinda on the young end to have HAD (feels good to say that!) an AN. Anyways, I like Texas way more than I thought I would. Still always call LA home! :) Food of course is good, but nothing like NOLA for me! haha. Ninfa's and Goode Company are def still around...can't say I've been though. I live out in Katy now. It's really growing out here. Houston and Katy are starting to merge. Houston is every growing in this economy. I think about to pass Chicago for 3rd largest city in the country. Traffic definitely says that. haha.
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm