Author Topic: Anti-inflammatory supplements after GK?  (Read 2727 times)

SueLL

Anti-inflammatory supplements after GK?
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:50 pm »
I had GK on 7/29/14.  Within the next few days, my hearing loss was pronounced.  On the sixth day after the procedure, my tongue felt as though I had a Novocain shot that was wearing off.  At that point I began the steroid package that I had been give in case of sudden hearing or balance issues.  (I wish I would have started this sooner, but I assumed the hearing issues were caused by swelling after GK.  Once I reread some of the ANA postings I realized that steroids should be taken immediately.  The doctor may have told me this, but most of the procedure and subsequent instructions were a blur due to the sedation.) 

I think the steroids helped stabilize the hearing issues, but I am wondering about the potential use of anti-inflammatory supplements (i.e., bromelain or curcumin) that have only briefly been mentioned in postings. Are many AN patients using them?  Are they safe?  Are they being recommended by doctors?  The few things that I have read about them indicate that they may be helpful to contain the swelling as an alternative to repeated steroid use.

This is my first post - only because I found so much useful information on the ANA discussion boards and did not feel that I could add anything.  I thank many of you ANA posters for the guidance that you have provided during my journey.  Since I have not seen much on this topic, though, I hope you can provide some insight.

As an aside - I opted to travel for my GK, so I don't have ready access to the neurosurgeon who treated me.  While I will likely ask this same question of him, I'm waiting to contact him with serious issues should they arise.  I thought I'd reach out to my ANA friends first.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Anti-inflammatory supplements after GK?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »
Hi SueLL and welcome to this forum of supportive friends .....

As you already knew, swelling is to be expected following radiation treatment of ANs.  Hopefully someone will reply as to their experiences with bromelain or curcumin.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cathyroe

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »
Hi SueLL,
we had GK on the same day! I was at UPMC (Pittsburgh) with Dr. Lunsford. I know that after the GK they put "steroids" in the IV that was in my arm. I don't know how long they last, but it's been a little over 2 weeks and I feel exactly the same as before I went for GK.
Since February, I have been taking a supplement called Protandim which was prescribed by a naturopathic doc I went to.  I must say, I would not go a day without it. It has milk thistle and turmeric (curcumin). In know this supplement has helped me a lot. You can google it and get it. All natural herbs.
I also make "green juice" or "green shakes" everyday, and include lemon, apple, spinach and ginger root. Ginger being the most important for anti inflammatory properties.
I also sleep about 10-11 hours a night, which is enormously helpful for the tinnitus.
I know that symptoms can show up around months 4-8, but I am hoping my anti inflammatory herbs and drinks will keep me symptom free. Maybe give them a try?
11/02/12  Diagnosed with AN  11mm X 5mm
05/29/13  MRI reports no change, stable
11/20/13  MRI reports 13mm X 7mm X5mm
5/20/14 MRI reports 14mm x 8 mm x 6 mm
7/29/14 GK at UPMC Lunsford. Now a Postie Toastie
1/14/15 Six Month MRI growth. 16mm X 8 mm
11/09/15  16 mm X 9 mm
9/15/16   17 mm x 11 mm x 8

SueLL

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:21:39 pm »
Cathy - Thank you for the reply!  I'll look into your concoction.  I'm also sending a personal e-mail given our common GK date.
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor