Author Topic: AN Surgery 8 days Post-op!  (Read 4445 times)

CS

AN Surgery 8 days Post-op!
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
I know everyone's tumor is unique and outcome of any treatment is different- but I want to share my update to be a little bit resource, encouragement and comfort to someone.... ;)

I was diagnosed with 1.2mm x 0.6mm x0.7 mm Acoustic Neuroma (or could be a meningioma) back in June, 2014. Came across this site and great local support group and started educating myself and seeking best treatment option. My husband and I met 3 neurosurgeons, 2 radiation oncologists, and 3 ENT who specialized skull-based surgery in a next two month.  Prayerfully considered all the option and circumstance of my life, I've opted for Retro-Sigmoid approach at UCSD at the hands of very skillful neurosurgeon and ENT surgeon and their team.  This was the best treatment option for me this season of my life.

- BIG DAY! (SEP.24, 2014):  Actually this day was the easiest day for me as I was taking a long nap :)  When they wheeled into operation room, my husband got emotional and I was started packing a bit... They must noticed that they put me in deep sleep right away... It was projected to take 7.5 hours, but took just half that with removal of the complete tumor!  Surgeons came to see my husband after 3.5 hours of tumor removable and celebrated each other how well ad quick they've performed! :o

- POST OP: When they wheeled me into PACU(Post-Anesthesia Care Unit), I was wide wake and telling nurses "I'M ALIVE!! I'M ALIVE!! I WANT TO SEE MY HUSBAND!"  I knew I was able to speak so my facial nerve was intact. I even remembered checking all my usernames and passwords for all the accounts I have to see if I lost any memory. I remembered them all and it was very impressive on myself ;)  While I was waiting someone to bring my husband, they did all the neurological test and checking and I was able to function them all. Unfortunately, they couldn't move me to NICU because they had no room so I ended up stating PACU for the night and next day which was long days for me.

- DAY1~2:  Almost every hour to do neurological checks and constant monitoring and medication, I was restless. PACU with bunch of other post -op patience did not help me either. All the surgeons and team came to see me and explained how the surgery went. My tumor was extensively tangled up and hid in the cochlea nerve so they couldn't save my hearing nerve.  I did not have serviceable hearing left prior to the surgery so I don't notice any different. My balance nerve was cut, but I quickly adjusted the slight dizziness after the surgery.  I assume that my other vestibular nerve was already compensated when I had vertigo attack back in April.  From the pics, my facial nerve and blood vessel were beautifully preserved.

- DAY3:  On the day 2, I was ready to go home, but doctors took extra caution to have me stay for another night until I have bowel movement. Due to the anesthesia and some medications, they want to make sure that I don't try to give too much pressure on incision to avoid CFS leak. They finally moved me to private room and I spent the night.  On the day three morning, my physical therapist came and I did two round of victory lap in the hospital! I climbed the stairs without any assistance so doctor finally released me to go home in the afternoon.
I took shower and washed hair on the night. Incision looked good and no sign of leak or infection.

- DAY4~5:  I was glad to be home, but I had little bit of nausea and pain as I have been adjusting to meds and my recovery and at home. Family and Friends welcome back encouragements, delivered meals for us was very much appreciated.

- DAY6~7: I was slowly recovering, but was struggling with lots of steroids meds. I had sleepless nights and made me more fatigue. By day 7, I was able to do many thing on my own.

- DAY8:  I had my post-op follow-up today. Everything looks good, and my ENT officially signed me off until I have my next MRI in 6 months to a year! All the team congratulated end encouraged for the continue recovery. They even sent some of the surgery photo to my g-mail accounts:)  I still have to follow-up with Neurosurgery team in a few weeks and do MRI if they think it's required.

I know today is my 8 days post-op and still have a long road to recovery. I have been noticing progress of the healing, just need a patience, one step at a time. Hope you fellow ANers will maximize the resources available such as this site and all the medical professionals advice and choose the best decision for the season of your life!

Diagnosed: 06/04/14
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN
Seeking best treatment option! :)
09/24/14 Retro-Sigmoid Removal

CS

Re: AN Surgery 8 days Post-op!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:20:47 pm »
I forgot to mention that my tumor was benign shwannoma which was growing either vestibular or cochlea nerve. I have slight tingling and taste change on my left tongue.  They used surgical glue and dissolvable sutures so no needed of taking out them at my follow-up appointment today.
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »
Congratulations - You did it!

What a great outcome? Who were the surgeons? 
Did you have to travel? 

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:04:55 am »
Congratulations!  I bet you are glad to have that behind you.  Thanks for sharing this detail, too, it really helps us pre-treatment folks have some ideas what to expect!
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »
Congratulations indeed!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

MG

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:01:03 pm »
So happy for you! Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Best wishes, MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

jeninla

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »
Congrats CS!  So happy that you are doing well.  Please email me anytime if you have any questions!
discovered 2.0 cm 6/2014
retro sig 8/5/2014 with HEI, Schwartz/Slattery
total removal
hearing, facial nerves preserved!
Full recovery with no headaches

CS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:04 pm »
Thank you everyone!

I am at 14 days post-op and getting better every day :)  I know I am not 100% yet and still have long road to recovery.... but I am scheduled to start working from home next week.  I did two miles of walk today and hope to start driving again in a next couple weeks!
12mm x 6mm x 7mm AN

raji83

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:02 am »
Great m so happy for u. M also 5 days post op.