Author Topic: Gamma Knife "still nervous !"  (Read 10492 times)

debisda1

Re: Hi ellenvig
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 01:48:46 pm »
Hi there ellenvig,
You had Gamma Knife done a week ago?  I went for a consult today at the Portsmouth Naval Hosp. In Va. with one of the neurosurgeons.  He is sending me to get a balance test done in a week or so.  Then they will schedule me for the Gamma Knife at the Univ. Of Va.  My AN is about 1 cm. and he recommended the Gamma Knife because of my age (44) and the size of the tumor.  The Univ. of Va. is about 3 hours from my home.  So the headframe gave you a major headache?  I am dreading that part.  Did I notice that you had your GK done in Providence RI?  I used to live in Westerly RI growing up.  It's about 45 minutes from Providence towards Misquamicut Beach.  I went to school at Westerly Junior High.  Do you know that area?
Well, the doc today  told me that there shouldn't be any side effects but I'm glad to know about the nausea ahead of time and the headache. I get major migraines anyway so I'll be prepared. 
Hey, drop me a line anytime.  Talk to you later........     debisda1

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Gamma Knife "still nervous !"
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 03:49:16 pm »
Debisda1,

I am seen at Portsmouth Naval Hospital as well...  Dr. Kuhn is my doc there.  Are you military/retired/spouse?   

We have about 4 people here in our immediate area that have AN's...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

debisda1

Re: Hi GM
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:59:43 pm »
Hi there GM. 
Yes,  I saw Dr. Kuhn today at my consult.  He wants me to schedule a balance test and then a follow up with him before i go for the Gamma Knife.  I am a military spouse,  are you active duty?
Are there are 4 people in our area that have had the Gamma Knife treatment already or have been diagnosed?  What do you think of Dr. Kuhn?  I guess Dr. Steiner's group will be seeing me at the Univ. of Va. 
If you have had the treatment already, how did it go?  It seems pretty quick, but the head frame worries me.  Not too impressed with the pins in my skin.  How was that part?
Well, I'm here if you want to chat.....                      debisda1   

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 06:33:07 pm »
I'm retired Air Force.  I was active duty when my AN was found.  The GK allowed me to stay active duty...it did not affect my military career. 

I sent you an email (see your in box on this site) I included my phone number...feel free to call I'd be happy to talk with you.  As for the others...there is another GK person (local), a surgery person (Williamsburg), and 2 more in the Richmond area (surgery I believe).  The other GK'er is a school teacher. 

Did you know that Riverside (On Jefferson and J Clyde Morris in Newport News) has a GK unit?  I live in Newport News.  They are working with University of Virginia and Dr. Steiner to perform GK treatments.  You can go there to see the unit.  I went the day it opened (open house...free food too :)

Click on the link in my postscript of this post for Riverside to see about the GK init.

Looking forward to talking with you.  P.S.  I work on the Southside...Little Creek Naval Amphib Base...

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 09:40:44 pm »
debisda1,  Sorry, I only know where Westerly is, not anything more than that.  :)  I went to college at Roger Williams in Bristol, though!  I'm VERY prone to headaches, so it was really no surprise for me to get one.  It went away very quickly after the frame was off though!

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line!

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm