Author Topic: I got my BAHA!  (Read 3043 times)

nipanddale

I got my BAHA!
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:16:25 am »
Hey, all!
I was adjusting well to being SSD on the left; two and 1/2 months post-op, feeling good, and back in the classroom. When talking to individual students whose voices aren't very pronounced (esp. young ladies) I often found myself bending down, putting a cupped hand around my "good" ear, and putting the ear right in their faces to hear them! (Huh? What d'ya say?) Also, for example, if Norma and I were walking, I would have to walk with her on my right side to hear her- if she were on my left, it became muffled and distorted.

So last Monday, Norm 'n me drove to Ann Arbor (Go Blue) to a U of M audiologist to get my BAHA. I was so stoked! I was under the (false) impression that I would, for all intents and purposes, "hear" on my left side again.

The first thing the audiologist explained to me was, in fact, having a BAHA does not significantly improve the volume you hear the world. It does, however, significantly improve life quality for SSD types, like most of us!

I was a little dissapointed at first. It took a few days of wearing the BAHA to notice a couple of things:

1) I don't have to bend down to put my ear in a student's face as often.

2) When I wear the BAHA, and someone on my left side is talking to me, I don't have to turn my head to hear them-- just listen a little more closely.

So, no, it wasn't like, I put on the BAHA, and, "Oh my God! I can hear again!" Yet, it has made things a whole lot easier!

BTW- almost 3 months after the awesome House docs removed my little friend, and I'm feeling great!

Dale
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: I got my BAHA!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:06:06 am »
Yep ... thats how it goes ... I've had my BAHA for 10 months now .. it gets better as you brain gets used to it ...
I actually forgot to but on my BAHA one day while rushing to work (I was late) .. I hated it, serveral times , I was
like "Huh? can you repeat that", " say that again" ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

Re: I got my BAHA!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 02:37:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback....
Sounds like you're doing great!