Author Topic: how many diagnosed under 30?  (Read 8048 times)

marie

Re: how many diagnosed under 30?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 03:17:41 pm »
I was diagnosed the next day after my 30th birthday.  After the surgery the surgeon said that I had had it probably 12 to 14 years , during which time I had three full term pregnancies and one miscarriage (hormones?) . When I asked how large the tumor was, doc. made a loose fist and said,"about that big" (tennis ball?).  He indicated at one point that I couldn't wait for Christmas break (school teacher) and this was jast after Thanksgiving. Also, during that time I started and finished  BS Ed. and  started on a MA  (English).  I really don't know how I did it with all the cognitive problems I have (didn''t know my problems had a name until recently).  After surgery I switched to MS Ed. and finished.  Then I had to quit teaching because I had lost my strong voice, plus all the other problems.

When I attended the Symposium in Little Rock, there was a 21- year-old in attendance who had had surgery on both sides and was totally deaf.    She couldn't smile, but her face was symmetrical.   Also, there was discussion of a four-year-old girl who had recently been diagnosed and treated.
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

tatianne

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 08:09:12 am »
i was diagnosed a few months after turning 30....
8 mm.
I think doctirs are becoming more aware of the symptoms and the possibility of ANs so we are
finding out sooner. I have seen a lot of post from people who has symptoms for ten years or more before being diagnosed, doctors are more aware, at least i think thats a part of the reason we see a fair amount of people under 30
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

windinthesails

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 03:19:41 pm »
I think you make a good point that doctors are becoming more aware of ANs and could do a lot with the age thing
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 07:03:40 am »
Doctor's knowledge that such a tumor can occur under 30 is definately a reason they're being found, I remember more than one doctor saying to me when I was first diagnosed that a brain tumor is someone "so young was rare"....I bet they weren't finding them because they weren't looking for them! Also the MRI is helping in finding these in "young people" who usually have very small one's not seen on CAT scans hense since the MRI's introduction and more common use as a diagnostic tool the stat.'s of AN's found in those under 30 are going up.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ShanaBee

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 06:32:40 pm »
I was diagnosed 8/30/07 with a 2.7 cm which was measured by my doctor last week and was actually a 3.1 cm AN, the radiology report was wrong.  I have tinnitus and normal hearing.  My AN was actually found on accident.  I am deciding this week between radiation and surgery.  I am scared that not many patients with a 3 cm and above have been treated with radiation.
3.1 cm "Cloudy"
Retro Approach, 11/28/07
Removed 97%, SSD
Dr. Jackler and Dr. Harsh
no facial damage, walked out of the hospital 4 days after surgery with no problems!!!

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:28 am »

Hi,

I was diagnoesd in October I was 30 in january, if I'd of gone to see my doctor when my symptoms first started almost 2 years ago I would of been under 30, but like most people I didn't want to bother the doctor with what I thought were trvial things (if only I knew) I have been told the tumor is around 3cm, golf ball size and from the scan pictures it is pushed up against my brain on the left side.

Apparantly its been there for years unnoticed, scary really, but as mentioned the extensive use of MRI's is making these somewhat rare tumours more common.

I'm glad to find there are more people on here around my age group I was begining to think I was the only one.

I'm having my surgery on friday 9th Nov 07 wish me luck.

Cheryl XxX
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »
I have sym in my 20's .. but never thought about them... its only when they got to be 40 ..that they got to be to bad to ingnore.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Blaw83

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:21 pm »
24..diagnosed summer of '07 after 2 plus of years of ringing and eventually noticed hearing loss. 2.4 cm right side surgery probably in February or march by Mcmenamy and delashaw at oshu.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 08:43:38 pm »
I was diagnosed age 29 w/1.4cm right side. I have been off balance for years. Now I know why. Didnt have hearing or tinitus (spelling?) till April of this year. Went to the drs many times between April till end of Aug trying to figure out what the problem was. They wouldnt do MRI because I was pregnant. After giving birth I went back to drs and went for MRI. My fears were confirmed. Going in and having CK done in January.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 01:39:26 am »
 :'(I was 54yrs when they discovered mine and I believe I had it for years before but didnt recognize the symptoms. I would think that if you have to have one of these damn things it would be better when your younger I believe younger people recuperate  faster.  Us oldies take longer and we usually have other issues  with it. so anyway  Good Luck, and Merry Christmas You will be alright Have a good docter ask alot of questions and a good support system.  my prayers are for and with you. :'(
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

dsuvb12

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 10:55:42 am »
I was diagnosed with a 7+ AN a week before my 23rd birthday and had surgery two months later.  Took a very long time to recover and now that I'm 5 months post-op I'm just starting to turn the corner.
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso