Author Topic: Chronic diarrhea since surgery 4 months ago  (Read 3217 times)

Katie56

Chronic diarrhea since surgery 4 months ago
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:27:40 pm »
Sorry, not a nice topic, but I haven't seen any posts on this problem. I had a trans-lab procedure, which included harvesting fat cells from my abdomen and using them to pad the metal plate they put in my skull after removing tumor. The week after I came home from hospital the diarrhea started and has continued every day since. Neurologist says the procedure probably was not to blame, but the onset of the digestive problems was so sudden, like a light switch, right after surgery. Tumor was really wedged into brain stem. I wonder if the excision damaged something in the brain that controls digestion.

Meantime, lab work recently showed that I'm so deficient in vitamin B12 that my general practitioner says I will need monthly B12 injections for rest of my life. Supplements won't fix it. Stands to reason that food is passing through my digestive system too quickly to allow it to absorb nutrients. I'm already at risk for osteoporosis, so I'm concerned for my bones as well. Has anyone heard of this  happening to anyone else?  I'm experimenting with eliminating dairy from my diet to see if I've suddenly become lactose-intolerant, but it's not changed the symptoms. Next up will be to see if I'm dealing with a gluten-intolerance.  So frustrating!
Tumor was 1 cm at initial diagnosis. Treated with gamma knife but re-grew to 3 cm. Removed with translab procedure 7/15/14.

LakeErie

Re: Chronic diarrhea since surgery 4 months ago
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »
You don't say how large your tumor was. Does your operative report state any surgical involvement of your 10th cranial nerve, or the vagus nerve? The 10th nerve has branches that run to your throat and larynx and has branches that extend from there to your heart and all the way down to your colon. I had a gastroenterologist explain to me that the 10th is involved with the "entire gut."
I had considerable dissection of tumor from my 10th nerve and while I never experienced your particular problem, I did have other issues with my colon for months following surgery.
Once my steroid taper completed post surgery I experienced delayed complications probably due to post steroid swelling and/or inflammation of the cranial nerves affected by the tumor dissection. I hope your problem resolves soon no matter what the cause. Good luck. 
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

rupert

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »
I'm surprised your GP hasn't addressed this more aggressively.  There are meds that will stop it no matter how bad it is. A couple days and it might correct itself.   Have you seen a Gastroenterologist?  If not, it seems past time to get this addressed.  I believe you can be helped with the right doctor.

Katie56

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:23 pm »
Thank you for this very useful information!  I have an appointment with my neurologist in a few weeks and will ask about the possible impact of surgery on 10th nerve.  My tumor was 3cm.  It grew back a few years after I was treated with gamma knife.

And I will ask GP about medications that might help, and perhaps getting a referral to a gastroenterologist too.

Thank you both so much for responding!
Tumor was 1 cm at initial diagnosis. Treated with gamma knife but re-grew to 3 cm. Removed with translab procedure 7/15/14.

Echo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »
Katie56,

A gastroenterologist or your GP should definitely be able to help you resolve this issue.  There are meds that people with Crohns Disease, Colitis or IBS take to help cope with your type of problem.  Many of these meds slow down the spasm within the colon which allows the food to digest and move through at a normal speed.  Some people require the meds on a regular basis and others go on and off of them as required.  A gastroenterologist would also be able to work with you and your neurologist to determine the cause of your problem.   Make sure you drink lots of water to stay hydrated and take some probiotics or yogurt to add healthy bacteria back into your system.

Best of luck,
Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Kristena

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:27:53 am »
Many antibiotics can wipe out the good bacteria in your digestive tract, and it can take a long time to get things back in balance. Try probiotics and yogurt. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can really do any harm there.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Katie56

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:43 pm »
I have an update!  It was as simple as taking an over-the-counter probiotic supplement for a week. That seemed to solve the problem. I saw my neurosurgeon this week and he said that the antibiotics given at surgery can disrupt the digestive system. Thank you to all who wrote with suggestions. I have other post-op issues, but am so glad that this one is resolved.