Author Topic: Update  (Read 3629 times)

feline

Update
« on: December 06, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »
Seen dr chang with MRI on 12-3 clear and progressing as I should about 5 1/2 months post translab but I have a question for whomever I will be going  back to work in January dealing with the public how do u think the public in general will react to me with my facial paralysis and sutured eye ???
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Corilyn

Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:51:42 pm »
I went back to work 2 months after my surgery with left sided facial paralysis, a weighted eye and a cane.  I worked in Child Protective Services.  I was in the public all of the time.  No one said anything.  I did however feel that I did not hold as much weight, like people did not take my intelligence as seriously, but that was probably all my own insecurities.  I left that job about 10 months after my surgery, as it was not good for my soul and I could not keep up to the needed pace.  I have had a hard time finding a job that I actually can do successfully.

feline

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:31 pm »
Thank you for info and do not give up on getting a job anybody else have public experience in their job
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

feline

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:55:47 am »
Any other public dealings at work

Kristena

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:07 am »
I went back to work with facial paralysis, my eye was bright red and usually looked like I was crying because of constant drops. I don't work in the "public," but I do take the bus and roam downtown with strangers. Everyone has been great--no one has mentioned my face or acted any differently toward me. I definitely feel different now though. I had some goals pre-surgery, and now I am content just doing my job. I've even had people suggest different job openings, but I feel like I'm lucky just to have the job I do!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

feline

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:44:07 pm »
Anyone else ?

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:11:41 am »
I went back to work at something like 3 1/2 months post op. I am a nurse working in mental health. Surprisingly reactions from my patient's were not that dramatic, sometimes it's a problem but not really. I found the general public more of an issue than my patients, people starring and the like but nothing that significant.
I think you need to just focus on how you feel about yourself, forget what others might think or say, that way it won't bother you if others have a negative reaction
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

feline

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:14 am »
Thank you for the input

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »
How people react to my facial paralysis has a lot to do with how I feel about it:  If I choose to be self-conscious then I notice others are insecure looking at me; but if I present myself as a whole person and not just my distorted face, then I notice people don't have an issue with my face.

Some days are easier than others. 
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.