Author Topic: Michigan AN - feeling better every day  (Read 3057 times)

shetaan

Michigan AN - feeling better every day
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:08 pm »
I can't thank the members of this forum enough for the great advice, stories of encouragement, and general helpfulness.  Like so many others, I was scared to death upon the diagnosis of a 1.7cm AN (protruding from the IAC) at 43-years-old.  My symptoms were mild:  Unexplainable but easily managed intermittent unsteadiness.  It was 7 months between my detection of the symptoms and the first MRI.

After the first doctor's consultation, I decided to get other opinions.  The first doctor recommended Translab to be sure to remove the entire tumor.  Of the other opinions, both House and the University of Michigan gave the best, same recommendation:  Good candidate for complete removal via Middle Fossa with a 50% chance of hearing preservation.  Still scared and having had little progression of symptoms (I had started detecting high-frequency hearing loss and the sensation of fullness), I waited.  As it had been 5 months since my original MRI, the doctor ordered another.  The tumor was now 2cm and protruding from the IAC enough to be nearing the threshold of the doctors' confidence to completely remove it via Middle Fossa. 

I scheduled surgery with the dream team of Dr. El-Kashlan and Thompson at U of M.  Both doctors were forthright, took the time to answer my (many!) questions, and treated my family and I with the utmost respect.  The [longer-than-expected 10-hour!] surgery went extremely well.  I can't say enough good things about the doctors or the staff.  The experience was better than I could have imagined it would be.  I would recommend both doctors and their teams to anyone in a heartbeat.

Post-surgery, my vestibular symptoms were not as bad as they could have been, I believe due in part to the fact that - according to the pre-op vestibular testing - I had lost 50%+ of my vestibular function on the affected side over the course of the previous year and had already begun to subconsciously compensate.  I had surgery Monday morning (in ICU Monday night) and was leaving the hospital Thursday morning.  Though I did have quite a bit of tinnitus in the affected ear, I didn't seem to have hearing.  The doctor's bone conduction test, however, seemed to indicate that the nerve was good and that I would regain some hearing.  I had some facial swelling that first week, and mild facial weakness for about 48 hours post-op.

Eight weeks of vestibular PT, rest, and waiting and I was back at work.  Erring on the side of caution, I didn't drive until six weeks, but didn't have any trouble getting back at it.  Over the course of the following weeks, I would start to detect my hearing (albeit small).  I got to the point where I could tell I had hearing in the affected ear, but it was a strong sensation of fullness in the ear and actual sounds were "underwater".  Apparently more accurate than I knew, I began hearing noises of fluid moving around in my ear whenever I blew my nose, coughed, moved just right, etc.

I'm now 4 months post-op.  As of today, my hearing is incredibly back to Class A.  The "fullness" is almost completely gone, and the tinnitus is nearly undetectable.  My vestibular function has compensated to "normal" when I'm not overtired or similar.  The post-op MRI showed no signs of remaining tumor.  I'm completely ecstatic.  I couldn't have imagined I'd be able to say this had you asked me back before surgery.

I know I need to remain cautiously optimistic and be vigilant with future MRIs (or symptoms), but today is a good day.  So to anyone reading this that may be where I was while reading posts 6 months ago, remember these truths, posted so many times in these forums:

1.  Everyone's experience is different
2.  You must make the decisions that are right for you

There are many people whose successes - both great and small - posted in the ANA forums from which I found the encouragement and support needed when faced with difficult decisions and so many unknowns.  I hope this post gives hope to others as past ones did for me.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Michigan AN - feeling better every day
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:00 am »
Hi shetaan .....

Congratulations on the wonderful outcome following the treatment of your AN!  These are just the kind of stories we need to see on this forum to give newly diagnosed patients the hope they need.

So often the patients with excellent outcomes like yours never post on this forum.  They just go on with their lives and do not share the positives.

Thank you for "paying back" with the great description of your journey and positive outcome!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:23:40 pm »
I love reading about outcomes like these.  One of my favorite parts is that they come about from many different medical teams and facilities.  It's not like there is only one team that seems to be able to get these things done right.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:01:23 pm »
YAY!  It's so good to read your post. 

Be well,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.