Author Topic: equilibrium problems?  (Read 3490 times)

joyce04

equilibrium problems?
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:54 pm »
Hi,

I 'm almost a month post gk.  Everything was great, but just wondering of anyone has equilibrium problems-
more balance issues not really vertigo. I'm not sure if it is post GK or just walking on these snowy roads in New England.. :o
Grace under pressure...

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: equilibrium problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »
Hi joyce04 .....

I did not have GK, but walking in all white snow is just as troublesome for me as walking in the dark.  ::) Balance issues are common to those of us with vestibular schwannoma.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NYLady

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:25:10 am »
Hi Joyce,

I am coming up on 9 months post GK and I definitely can relate to your equilibrium/balance problem.  For the first three months, I felt great.  I did have some minor balance difficulty prior to treatment, but even that disappeared in the weeks following treatment.  However, at about 3 and a half months out, I found my balance/equilibrium was definitely declining, along with the hearing in my AN ear.  I dont really get vertigo, which as I understand it, is everything around you spinning.  My difficulity seems to occur only when I stand up and begin walking.  Sitting down, even driving, I feel fine.  Just cant seem to stabilize when I stand up and walk.  Walking in any situation is problematic for me, feel like I have to go slower and hold on, particularly on steps.  I am hoping when I visit my surgeon at the end of April, he will say this is expected and mayabe I could benefit from vestibular therapy.  Dont know for sure because I was told prior to surgery balance could get worse...not sure if they meant permanently or temporarily.  Did have six month MRI and it showed some darkening necrotic areas in tumor, but the film has not yet been reviewed with my surgeon, so I will hold off believing that is a good result.  As I mentioned, my hearing also declined in the AN ear....a lot.  Had to stop word discrimination test after 10 words...nothing made sense in that ear.  Am hoping also that it is not too soon to get new hearing aids and that they will help somewhat.  Arizona Jack seems to have the same outcome I do and he is using BiCros, so maybe that will work for me too  Not sure though because hearing in my "good" ear is not so great either.  I also have been doing what Clarice suggested by walking in my hallway and moving my head from side to side and up and down.  Been doing that for about 3 weeks I think...not much difference yet, but these therapies do not work quickly I am sure.  So hang in therel.  Its early days yet.  Keep in touch.

Best wishes for your continued recovery,
NYL

joyce04

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:41:59 pm »

Yes, that's pretty much how I'm feeling- holding on to railings while going up stairs etc. 
Actually I took a bad fall and chipped a tooth. My sweet students said I looked like a cute chipmunk.
Ahhh..teenagers! I may try physical therapy to see if that will help.  What do you think?
Grace under pressure...

NYLady

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:02:02 pm »
Hi Again Joyce...

From what I understand, there is a difference between Physical Therapy and Vestibular Rehab therapy.  Might be best to check with your doctor to see which would be appropriate for you.  In my case, the tumor was right at the cochlea, and I was told balance would be affected, so I am leaning towards vestibular therapy.  Need a script from my doctor though, which I will request when I see him, if he feels it is necessary or would be halpful.  Good luck. 

NYL

joyce04

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »

Hi,
Thank you so much for the information about the therapies. I will check them out.

J.
Grace under pressure...

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »
Yes, vestibular therapy is different. It teaches you how to compensate for the loss of the balance mechanism in your AN ear. It teaches you exercises that address strengthening the remaining balance mechanism of your body.

Physical therapy involves helping bone and muscle to recover from injury or medical conditions and may only indirectly help with balance.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0