Author Topic: Jobs for ANers ...  (Read 8150 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Jobs for ANers ...
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:32:25 pm »
I've heard more than a few stories about people who have been unable to return to work, or to work at the same level as they use to before AN treatment. Now, some are "lucky" and have returned to their old positions without a hitch, but some of us have been demoted, treated unfairly, or even let go for various reasons. The economy and job market are tough enough without having to eliminate certain jobs because of some of our disabilities. Even if it's dry eye or balance problems, it may keep us from certain jobs. My confidence is shot since facial paralysis entered my life and I feel pretty uncomfortable in social situations. Being deaf in one ear makes it hard to work with people at all. What kind of jobs are out there that are right for us? What kind of resources are out there for people with disabilities as related to jobs?

tony

Re: Jobs for ANers ...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:58:45 pm »
I hear you
So question - what exactly did you do before ?
Best Regards
Tony

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 02:18:35 pm »
I was the Director of an Advertising Agency. After my first surgery I missed 6 months of work and when I returned I couldn't travel or make presentations, so I was demoted to another job, then after my second surgery and another 2 months out they "eliminated" my position but offered me another one as an Account Executive. I've been with the company over 5 years. Hired in 2001, promoted in 2002, promoted in 2003, surgery in 2004, demoted in 2005, surgery in 2006, demoted in 2006.

Seems fair, huh?

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:05:16 pm »
Scott,
     NO, not fair a all. Guess what they say, lifes not fair hold true.  Batty Princess also lost her job over her AN absence.  Again, like your wife said, it sucks. I am self employed, had a 15 year very successful Real Estate brokerage. Have managed to do a few transactions since the ordeal (2yrs ago) but I cannot function well enough to do any kind of volume. I have been trying to figure out something else I can do from home.  Something related but wouldn't require me to meet with clients too often. I can't concentrate too wel and like you said, I really lack confidence these days. I wish you and others the best while trying to reinvent our past careers post AN  Know you are not alone .

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:00:13 pm »
It is discouraging Scottie. I know. Not sure what to say. I haven't worked a normal job since 2000.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:39:13 pm »
Scott - I can't imagine getting demoted - you could look into Affirmative Action, but who feels like a fight.  In my position it would be easy, I'm a nurse in clinical resource mgt (off the floors for 9 years), & my job doesn't involve a physical presentation, just giving info over the phone or computer.   Being in advertising I'd think visual is almost everything.    I hope things get brighter for you (and for me too!)     Another working class hero, nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:56 am »
OK - I get the picture
So "We are, where we are"
Questions : What can you do ? - what cant you do ?
Are you really recovered enough for the fast lane now ?
Or would it be a good idea to go back in stages ?
remember here, you might be 5 times as strong
as you are now, in 12mths time
Could you work for yourself ?
(you might do a role where you could set the pace
- which means you could build gradually over 12-18mths)
Do you still have contacts ?
What do you like doing ?
My own critieria was to make sure I got a role
where such limitations I have would not be too important
My suggestion here is you find a current or former
Career councillor - and talk it through
Once you have a better idea of what you want
you will have a better idea where you are going
(I opted to leave my former role - simply because I knew they would get
"iffy" when they realised I could only do 85% of it, post surgery)
I dont do 85 % of anything
If I can quote Sinatra on this one - "all or nothing at all"
Last thought : most interviews I have had
- the other side has been quite staggered at my story and
in some admiration of the progress
I got the sense that in most cases they wanted to help
- I wasnt expecting that - you maybe surprised too
Stay in touch
Best regards
Tony

LizH

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:04:53 am »
Hi Scott. I am so much with you. I am an experienced Computer Software Consultant. I have been unemployed for the last 4 months. My last job lasted only 4 days! Everyone including myself was shocked. I had moved all the way from New Jersey to SF, California to take up this job. Even though my work does not involve walking, I think I was let go because of the way I walk. As Scott said, they use all kinds of reasons to let you go. In my case, they gave some reasons that don't even apply to me. What can I do? Nothing! I have no problem standing or sitting. My problem comes in only when I walk and so I avoid walking at work but it didn't help. I have been to several interviews but nothing results after that because they see me come holding a cane.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

Static

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:36:34 am »
Hi Scott!
I am writing to you now because I am also out of work.  It does seem like some people want to help when they hear your story, at first, but then with the daily limitations and moods involved, well, lets just say things aren't always what they seem.  I tried to keep a fast pace office job but the cognitive skills weren't there and I could see my employer being frustrated with me.  Also the single sided deaf thing, it's a hard one to overcome quickly.  I was "laid off", I was told for lack of work, but I had the same volume when I was let go as I did when I first started.  I think I wasn't doing things quickly enough for them.  For me, I felt like I had too many distractions to be able to concentrate, radio, people talking, phones interrupting my train of thought.  I couldn't easily go from one thing to the other without losing my train of thought.  I currently was told about a job as a medical driver at a local aged home and since my driving skills still are good (except at night) I am going to give it a shot (I start this coming Monday).  I am also working with the State Office of Vocational Rehab.  They help you get or keep a job if you have a disability.  I only had my first interview with them recently and from what I've heard from another member here, I don't expect a whole lot from them.  This definitely is a big issue for those of us who can work but can't make what we used to make and have bills to pay.  I hope you find something that suits you.  Best wishes!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

LizH

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 06:49:03 am »
Tell me more Karen. I need a job, I need income, I have bills to pay. Cheers!
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 09:36:35 am »
Effiya,

They did that to you? Unreal!! They can't get away with that. Have you considered a lawsuit? That's woudl probably work over a long term but who really wants to endure that kind of thing?! Lawsuits can go on for very long periods of time. You have to get mad and stay mad to see them through.
     Didn't those people know about your situation before authorizing a move like that? That's about as wrong as it is flagrantly abusive and just plain crazy.
           Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 01:23:08 pm »
Today I say let's take out our uzi's and shot em all!  thinking I need to up my meds  LOL

mll

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:20:37 pm »
Wow is it nice to hear someone talking about this.  I haven't worked since June of last month and then it was only for three months.  I used to be a paralegal but dizziness, cognitive issues, and headaches kept me out of the office.  I also found that I couldn't be on the computer for prolonged periods-the visual stimulation was bad.  After being out of the office for a month my employer told me I could work less hours if I needed to but later they decided they really needed someone full time.  So now I'm home also trying to find something I can do part time or from home.  I'm so sorry Scott. I can't imagine working somewhere for so long and then being treated like that.  Good luck with everything.

mll

tony

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:24 am »
Actually I do have another career path - locked myself out the house
yesterday - and had to break in - without doing any damage !
If it wasnt for the fact it took fully 2 hrs and I made more noise
than brass band....no long term option...
More seriously best to look for roles/functions where
issues such as poor lifting - or poor comprehension
in noisey places - are not going to be a problem
The moderm economy is about knowledge/experiance
often working on a screen or on a phone.
Maybe some need to retrain
Best regards
Tony

Static

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 02:22:52 pm »
Ya know, I thought about working on a screen or the phone, but if I'm on the phone for a long period of time, I get pains in my neck/arm/shoulder from holding the phone so long.  Yes, I know there are headphones but it is very frustrating if you are on the phone with things going on around me, everything interferes and if someone did want to get my attention, they have to tap me cuz I can't distinguish those sounds around me which is what I think makes them even worse.  As for the screen, I can't be on the computer for a long time like someone else mentioned.  I get sick, dizzy and a major headache :(
Although people seem to be sympathetic to certain situations, when they have to deal with them on a daily basis, in most cases I have found, they lose their sympathy/patience.  I am starting work driving people to doctor appointments on Monday and as long as it's during the day...........   The hours are minimal as is the pay but unemployment is running out and I don't know where else to turn :/  I've heard all the "it could be worse", "you were lucky" and "at least you can hear out of one ear" that I can stand!  I feel like I'm losing it!  Best wishes to everyone in this same situation. 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right