Author Topic: CK Stanford Decision Made  (Read 5221 times)

CattAN

CK Stanford Decision Made
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:51:11 am »
Hello All,

My journey has begun when I was diagnosed with AN on June 7th, 2015 (actual MRI was on Sunday-doctor called me on Monday).  I will start to document my journey here, as I go through treatment and beyond. 

I would like to thank the numerous members of this great Association and Forum, who gave me their time and attention, talked to me over the phone, responded to my emails, as well as those who responded to my posts here on the Forum.  Okay, sorry if this is beginning to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech :D

After having 4 evaluations, some in person and some by mail, I came to the decision that CyberKnife at Stanford is my treatment of choice.  I have a date set for the actual treatment next month (September 2nd to September 4th).  I will continue to post progress as I go through treatment, as this will help me as I go through this phase.  I will be alone at Stanford, but everyone on this Forum will be with me at least virtually.

About how I arrived at my decision:  I read many posts on this Forum, especially for those with similar size tumor as mine.  I also did extensive research on Medline and PubMed.  Most of the time I read abstracts, but I was able to receive full articles from authors such as Dr. Steven Chang at Stanford. 

I have to admit that treatment by CK at Stanford was not my first choice, as there are several local institutions here in SoCal that are experts in the field.  But my experience so far with Staff and Doctors at Stanford really swayed my opinion.  I have to also point out the two interviews with Dr. Chang that Francesco Barbera posted on this website were extremely helpful in making me understand all aspects of my condition, and what works best for treatment (based on tumor control rate).

Thank you all.  Keep on posting....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:38:09 am by CattAN »
Right side AN diagnosed 6/7/2015
12x11 mm
Swelling to 15x13 mm @ six months
SSD, tinnitus, some balance issues....
~~~~~~~~~
Stanford CyberKnife1 9/2/2015 (single fraction)
Dr. Steven Chang & Dr. Iris Gibbs

sunny

Re: CK Stanford Decision Made
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »
Dear CattAN,

Wishing you a successful treatment and recovery. Your experience thus far seems similar to mine in many ways.
It is amazing, the information and technology that is available to us.
All the best to you.

sunny
Right side A.N.  (11 x 9 x 5)
Symptoms -- 2/18/15 sudden partial hearing loss and constant tinnitus
Diagnosed -- 4/24/15 by my ENT with MRI
Treatment -- 6/17/15 first of three CK treatments @ Stanford with Drs. Chang and Hancock
Treatment Completed! -- 6/19/19

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:54:08 am »
Sounds like you made a great decision.

Dr. Chang has a great reputation; I've been around the Forum a long time and have heard nothing but wonderful things about him.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:57:06 am »
Dr. Chang is top of my list if I ever have to leave my current "watch & wait" status.

If I went the traditional microsurgery route then Dr Schwartz with Dr.  Slattery or Dr. Friedman would be tops on my list.

I agree with "leapyrtwins" and think you made an excellent choice with Dr. Chang.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

john1455

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:08:53 am »
Add me to the list of those who told you what a great choice you made in choosing Dr Chang. I was very pleased with my experience at Stanford. Experience is the key to any successful outcome and I doubt there are very many places with more experience and expertise than Stanford.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

CattAN

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:53 pm »
Hello My Fellow AN'ers,

This is an update after my visit yesterday to Stanford for my pre-treatment evaluation.  I was under the impression that CK is a 3-session treatment.  Much to my surprise, that there is a one-session CK.  I guess I haven't paid enough attention to everyone's posts.  There seems to be still a lot to learn.

So after the meeting, I am going through my reservations and plane itinerary to change dates to accommodate the one-session treatment scheduled for 9/2.  I am still a bit concerned about the aftermath of getting zapped with such a high dose all at once.  Should I be?   I understand the rationale of the doctors, that since most my hearing is lost, then lets use the highest dose to give the most impact.  But from what I have read, those who had GK (one-session CK = GK sans frame) had very severe post-treatment symptoms. Should I be concerned? 

Please chime in, any advice is very much appreciated as this fateful date nears.

CattAN
12x11 mm
~~~~~~~~~

rupert

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but,  most people have very few side effects after GK or CK.  I myself had GK and the only side effect I felt was being tired for a few days.  It's been 6 years now and pretty non eventful.

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Don't worry.. Most side effects are caused by a zapped balance nerve and balance organ.
If you get fractionated you actually get more radiation... But over more days...
Is 13gy in one day necessarily worse than 18gy in three 6gy sessions. Probably not.
My neurosurgeon said the effect is the same...

If you have lost your hearing your balance nerve is gone too...
So chances are side effects will be low.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CattAN

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:30:04 pm »
Yes, I believe my balance nerve is no longer functioning, just as my hearing in the AN ear is gone. It is ironic, I am hoping that the balance nerve is really done with on the right side so I won't have to suffer through a dying balance nerve. This disease is humbling; yet in a way it makes me appreciate things in life I took for granted, such as the ability to walk.
12x11 mm
~~~~~~~~~

MG

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 06:12:25 am »
Hi CattAN,
I am glad you posted these questions because I was wondering the same thing. It's good to know that they can do it in one session.  I may have CK in the near future. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on your recovery! Sending prayers too.

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016