Author Topic: Surgery in 10 days- can you share post op experiences  (Read 4783 times)

markandrew67

Surgery in 10 days- can you share post op experiences
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:12 pm »
Hello friends,

I was diagnosed on Jan 5 with AN, 2.7cm., two days before my 49th bday.  I had sudden hearing loss on Dec 7 the month before (the unfortunate part, I am a musician, relying on my hearing in a very involved way to lead choirs, compose, perform on organ, piano, etc) and had an MRI jan 4.

After speaking with Dr Jed Kwartler (in NJ summit medical group very reputable) who gave the original diagnosis and surgery options (translab is what he suggested) I went to see a few more docs. Spoke with Samuel Selesnick and Phil Gutin at Sloane Kettering, but decided on the neurosurgeon James Liu (and Bob Jyoung, neuro otologist) at University hospital in newark, part of University of New jersey's medical school. Although he's on the younger side (in his early 40's) i'm very impressed with Dr Liu's reputation and achievements with ANs. He performed 30+ retrosigmoid approach surgeries last year and since I have serviceable hearing in the AN ear (i can use a phone) he's giving me maybe 50% chance of preserving the hearing I have. I know it's difficult to give percentages and hearing preservation is a very tricky business..but I'm definitely going for it because the translab of course is 0% hearing preservation.

I'm really glad to have this forum- thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and hopes and fears. My friends and family can't believe how calm I've been (I can't believe myself! think all the sacred music i've played over the years has paid off in terms of faith!) but now that the surgery is in sight, things are getting more...serious for me. I still have a lot of hope for a positive outcome, with or without hearing in my left ear, but I also realize this is a really big deal and I want to be prepared not only physically but emotionally and spiritually. If anyone can reply to me and give me their experiences post op, the first few days to going home, I would appreciate it. Peace & courage, mark
2.7cm diagnosed Jan 5, 2016
Retrosigmoid surgery Dr James Liu and Robert Jyung, University Hospital, Newark NJ
Feb 18, 2016
SSD left ear, everything else is working
Home and on the road to recovery!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery in 10 days- can you share post op experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:57:25 am »
Hi Mark and welcome to this forum of new, caring, supportive friends .....

Your story parallels mine in so many ways ..... I can fully empathize with your angst.

I was a church organist, as well as a singer, for all of my adult life.  I retired from regular, active church music work about a year before I was diagnosed.  Perhaps it was a sign because things just did not feel right when I retired.

Like you, once I made the decision for treatment, I was strangely calm and have remained that way through several ups and downs.  I believe strongly in the power of prayer to make this happen.

As you can see from my signature below, I have had two AN surgeries.  Not to frighten you because each of our stories is unique, I will briefly explain my journey.  My first symptom was not hearing loss, but significant balance issues (a couple of unexplained falls).  It was when the hearing loss began, I sought diagnosis and treatment.  Unfortunately my AN was of the rapidly growing type (clear MRI to 2+ cm on a repeat MRI 15 months later).  I have a history of massive radium treatments to my head as a teenager so between the rapid growing type and that, surgery was my only option.  I was referred to Duke University where the highly respected and AN experienced neurosurgeon felt he could save my hearing (it was at 80%, with 100% speech discrimination at the time of surgery).  Therefore he removed the AN via retrosigmoid approach and I did retain 20%, with still 100% speech discrimination.  I managed rather well with a regular Widex hearing aid until my tumor grew back within three years.  At this point, I knew I was in the "rare, unusual" case scenario, plus I had had three years to continue my research, so I sought out what I felt were the most successful, experienced AN surgeons in the country.  I went to House Ear Clinic in LA where Drs. Friedman and Schwartz removed my regrown tumor via translabyrinthine approach.  Already I was losing some of my remaining hearing so I knew going in, the rest would be totally gone.  Therefore, Dr. Friedman installed the abutment for my bone-anchored hearing system during that surgery.  I am almost five years out from the second surgery and so far my MRIs have been stable.  I am very grateful.

I am going to be very honest and tell you this has had a major effect on my listening to and performing of music.  My only hearing ear tests perfectly normally on an audiogram but somehow it feels like it overcompensates for the loss from the other ear.  The Oticon Medical Ponto Pro is a tremendous assist, but it cannot duplicate natural music sounds and it transfers sound to my only intact cochlea.  Thus, the stereo affect is missing.  I do continue to accompany and do substitute organ work, but I no longer sing.  Since you would know, a strange thing occurred post-first surgery, when I no longer have perfect pitch.  That has resulted in a significant way in how I now perceive music.

If you would like to talk, send me a private message and I would be happy to call you (or you me).

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

markandrew67

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:35:07 am »
thank you, Clarice, for sharing some of your story.
Wow, you have been through quite a lot and I so appreciate your honesty and positive outlook.

I am super curious as to what my hearing in my left ear will be like after the surgery...I have spoken with a friend who has SSD (not from AN, but unexplained condition) and is a musician and she has been able to compensate pretty well with the one ear.

I have Ash wednesday services tonight (i'm raised and an active united methodist although working in a UCC/amer baptist church) and will let the congregation know about my diagnosis and upcoming surgery on Sunday.

thank you again and will be in touch, most likely post op, so we can share more about the somewhat unique "musician AN experience" :)

peace!
Retrosigmoid surgery Dr James Liu and Robert Jyung, University Hospital, Newark NJ
Feb 18, 2016

lisav

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:29:06 am »
I am having translab surgery on the 22nd. Good luck with your surgery!
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

will i am

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »
Hi Mark,

I am 3 months post op Retrosigmoid/Sub Occipital removal of a 1.75 cm Acoustic Neuroma on my left side. My symptoms were substantial hearing loss, extreme Tinnitus, speech and balance issues. My surgeons were Dr. Friedman and Giannotta at USC Keck. In my opinion they are the best and most experienced team to tackle Acoustic Neuroma tumors.  I am one of the lucky ones, because they were able to save my facial nerve as well as what hearing I still had left in my affected side. Unfortunately my Tinnitus seems to have gotten worse since the surgery. Extreme tinnitus, balance issues and Wonky head are the worst things that I am dealing with post op. I am told that with time the wonky head will get better but unfortunately the tinnitus is here to stay. I have been fitted for a hearing aid to see if it helps with not only my hearing but the tinnitus as well. After a month I haven't seen any change in the tinnitus but it does help with balancing out my hearing. Also, both of my Vestibular nerves on my affected side were cut during surgery, so I have had to do extensive vestibular therapy post op to help with the balance issues. The therapy is a must to help you recover more quickly.  All in all I'm doing as well as can be expected for such a difficult situation the balance is getting better each and every week.

William

55 year old male
Retrosigmoid/Sub Occipital removal of a 1.75 cm Acoustic Neuroma on Oct. 9 2015
USC Keck Acoustic Neuroma Center
Dr's Friedman and Giannotta

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:29 pm »
Hi Mark,

We have an article in our next NOTES newsletter issue featuring a violinist. He had a very positive outcome from his surgery, and feels his playing has actually improved because he has to 'pay more attention to sounds'. Best wishes for your surgery. :)

markandrew67

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 07:54:15 pm »
hi william and lisa
thanks so much for sharing some of your story.

wow, lisa you are probably 3 day post op and feeling a bit out of it, i'm sure.

I am in day 7 of post op and the retrosigmoid approach seems to have been a success at this point. They removed a 2.7 acoustic from the IAC and CPA (that's the cerebral pontine angle ,right?) left maybe what the doc says is 5% along the facial nerve. The surgery was on feb 18th was super long (13 hours), however without any damage to facial nerves- I had hearing in my left ear but that is gone, at this point not sure if it will return.  I stayed in ICU thur and fri night, was moved out saturday and went home on Sunday. My balance has been coming back well over the last few days- walking around a lot with just a bit of a wonky head.

Being in a musical career (hi clarice!) i Need to think deeply about life with SSD and if I want to look at hearing options for the deaf ear (which honestly don't look too great for musicians)

I think it's amazing what the human body can withstand when put to the test. I honestly believe if I didn't have so many wonderful people praying and rooting for me the outcome would not have been (and continue to be) so positive.
Feb 18, 2016

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 09:07:19 pm »
Hi Mark .....

So glad you are on "the other side" of surgery now.  It sounds like you are doing well.  Rest and recover and keep researching your hearing assist options.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 11:41:49 pm »
Mark,
I was also given a 50% chance of recovering my remaining hearing, and I am now SSD.  My retro-sigmoid surgery was 12/16/2015, and I was told that the tumor was situated "upstream" of where the hearing nerve breaks away from the balance nerve, and that's why it couldn't be saved.  My balance is very good, maybe even as good as pre-op.  But I religiously do my Vestibular PT.  I'm not a musician, but I feel like I can still sing as well as I did pre-op (church, etc).

The face is still a little stiff, but seems to be improving every day.  The ear and surgery area are somewhat numb.  Hair still grows out the ear, which seems unfair!
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic