Author Topic: Help. Need some wisdom on fat graft site.  (Read 4004 times)

areles

Help. Need some wisdom on fat graft site.
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:36:49 am »
son was released today, all going okay, until stomach incision began draining fluid, and then blood.

no odor in the drainage, no swelling, no redness, at least that i can tell.  he reports it isn't sore.

(he showered at 2p-ish, with the doctor's blessing.  dressing had been removed in hospital, so the incision was covered only by tape.  we weren't instructed to cover with anything prior to his shower.  the drainage began at around 9p.)

the on call doc has told me it's "likely nothing to worry about," which i was willing to accept when it was just a bit of clear fluid mixed with light blood, but an hour later it seeped again, this time more blood.  it does seem like a normal part of the process, but i'm still concerned, especially since i don't know where to go to handle it if it needs to be handled.  (local ER i don't trust, and the relevant ER won't have any of the house docs attending.)

has this happened to anyone else?
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

Kristena

Re: Help. Need some wisdom on fat graft site.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:27 am »
Does he have stitches? I had stitches, which were removed with the rest of the stitches at my next doctor appt. If he doesn't have stitches, it would seem more probable that it would keep re-opening. Either way, it will need to start clotting and scabbing over.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
I think if it were me, and  I didn't have any problems after surgery with that incision,, I would call his surgeon's office before the weekend. At least let them know and see what they have to say. I was released a week after that surgery and stitches had been removed.

Good luck.  May just need new, different type bandage to help keep it closed.
Let us know,, thoughts and prayers,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

areles

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:53:04 pm »
i spoke with his surgeon today, and she seems unconcerned, but will check it out on friday at our already-scheduled followup to remove his pressure bandage.

considering that he just took me on a quarter mile fast paced hike around the block (twice), wildly gesticulating and cracking jokes all the while, i *guess* he's doing okay?

this was him this morning, seven days post first op, three days post second.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsbl2o9etwvqi28/20160302_131955.jpg?dl=0

I think if it were me, and  I didn't have any problems after surgery with that incision,, I would call his surgeon's office before the weekend. At least let them know and see what they have to say. I was released a week after that surgery and stitches had been removed.

Good luck.  May just need new, different type bandage to help keep it closed.
Let us know,, thoughts and prayers,,
Jane
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:54:50 pm by areles »
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:26:01 am »
He looks to be doing VERY well   ;D ! I am glad you were able to speak to his Dr. ,, I'm sure that settled your concerns some. I hope his Dr visit goes as well tomorrow. Looks as if his recovery is going very well.

Try to keep up with him,,  ;),, sounds like quite the workout for you too !!

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

areles

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:58 pm »
thank you!  the past couple of days haven't been as high energy as wednesday, and he is struggling with head pain, but all things considered, he's doing okay. 

He looks to be doing VERY well   ;D ! I am glad you were able to speak to his Dr. ,, I'm sure that settled your concerns some. I hope his Dr visit goes as well tomorrow. Looks as if his recovery is going very well.

Try to keep up with him,,  ;),, sounds like quite the workout for you too !!

Jane
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:00:39 am »
Areles,
As most would tell you,, it is perfectly normal to have good days with lots of energy and then a day or so of fatigue and low energy,,, it's the brains way of saying " slow down and remember you are still recovering and I need time and rest",,,  :P,,, 

Sorry for the head pain too. I hope this weekend he will have some good days again,,, hang in there,, it is tough to be the caregiver as well as the patient! He is young,, he will recover well, I'm sure, just tell him to develop some patience,,, ::),,, it's hard I know!!

Thoughts and hugs!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011