Author Topic: Surgery at House, and Recovery  (Read 2477 times)

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
Surgery at House, and Recovery
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
I had my tumor removed on 12/16/2015, at House Clinic, by Doctors Lekovic and Wilkinson.  Overall, the surgery was a resounding success.  They performed a retro-sigmoid surgery, and got all the tumor.  I did lose the little hearing that I had left in that ear.  I was told that the tumor was "upstream" of where the hearing nerve breaks away from the vestibular nerve, and therefore couldn't be saved.  I can't say enough about the professionalism and wonderful care at House Clinic and Saint Vincent's hospital.  They really do wonders in assisting the patient through this traumatic experience.  The Seton Hall was amazing.  My wife and son stayed there, and once discharged, we spent a few more days there.  It's very reasonable (approx $80 per day) for downtown Los Angeles.  It was also great for connecting with others, who had undergone the same, or similar surgeries.  I should also mention that the cafeteria at Saint Vincent's hospital is amazing!

The surgery was tough on this old guy.  OK, I'm 61 years old, so maybe not quite a dinosaur.  The facial nerve was totally responsive,  immediately following surgery, but about 3-4 days later, there was some fairly significant regression.    At this point, I have my smile back!  The eye is still a little stiff, but it does close, and seems to slowly be improving.  Balance is good, after a lot of physical therapy.  I'm even playing tennis again, although maybe at a little lower level.  But not much - it could be just a lack of practice.

I feel very fortunate with this outcome, and I'm thankful to my Lord and Savior for leading me through this, with His answers to many prayers from family and friends.
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic

DizzyMamaIL

• Facebook
Re: Surgery at House, and Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:51:55 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience and great to hear of your successful outcome!
February 2012 - first doctor visit for vertigo
January 2015 - sudden hearing loss
January 2016 - dx AN 1.1 cm x 2 cm
May 2016 - radiation; June 2016 to present - headaches, vertigo; October 2016 - one episode of facial paralysis

areles

Re: Surgery at House, and Recovery
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:36:35 pm »
thank you for sharing, and congratulations on a successful outcome!
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}