Author Topic: Does the moderator censor posts?  (Read 3699 times)

Cityview

Does the moderator censor posts?
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:25:41 pm »
I have a question about the use of the ANA forum. I was wondering if the administrator ever removes posts? The reason this is important to me is I want to know if opinions are ever suppressed. I know this can be a tricky subject because there are so many factors involved. It brings up a lot of ethical questions and questions of netiquette. I personally have my own set of standards that I abide by, but I was wondering about this topic as it relates to other people's posts. Here's my concern: If a person makes a negative comment about the care they received at an Institution or by a physican, is that information ever suppressed? I guess this really matters, because many people on this forum are, in a way, looking for a recommendation about particular physicians and institutions, in the same way that you might ask a friend for a recommendation. I know it can be a tricky question, because a negative post might unfairly and adversely affect a physician's practice. I also know that physicians are constrained by HIPAA and cannot respond, which may be unfair to them. This is an important topic to me because I, and so many of us, seek consultation via telephone, and unless we visit the Institution in person, and make a one-on-one appointment with the physician, it can be very difficult to assess the quality of care of the physician and the Institution. It calls into question whether or not it is ethical to be recommended for surgery having never had a one-one-one consultation between patient and physician. However, due to the rarity of the disease, the telephone consultations can be helpful. They might also be misleading. So much cannot be determined via the telephone or remote communication. For example: the cleanliness of the facility, the friendliness of the staff, the care and compassion,  location of facility etc. etc. I know that there is a disclaimer that the forum should not be used to obtain medical advice, but in some ways we are looking for information. I also know that the ANA does not endorse or recommend any particular physician, treatment, or Institution, but the forum is being used by participants to gain this information. My guess is that many of the treating physicians read the posts. I guess I would too if I were a doctor. Participants in forums are anonymous and therefore posts cannot be validated. There is no way to determine whether or not a post is valid, whether it is positive or negative about a physician or Institution. I caution all of the participants to be careful and not base their treatment decisions on what they read here. Do your due diligence, get multiple opinions, examine and cross-examine, ask for statistics and get opinions in person as well as by telephone. Remember, we are more that just an MRI scan. In the same way that it is difficult to obtain information about an Institution remotely, it is also difficult for a physician to have a "full picture" of a patient via remote communication.
The ANA does a wonderful job of providing patients with so many different webinars and resources. We are also very fortunate to have a wonderful Medical Advisory Board. The issue of whether or not the forum is censored is an important one to me. If posts are censored in any way it may obscure other users from having a clear picture of people's true opinions.
Could the ANA please clarify the use of the forum and how it is administrated?

rupert

Re: Does the moderator censor posts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:54:44 pm »
   A phone consult would just be  preliminary fact finding,  and research.  I wouldn't think any one would ever not actually have an in person talk with the doctors involved if they sought actual treatment somewhere. Phone consults are strictly prelim.

A mod can close a thread if it's taking a turn off topic, gets personal or needs to be moved to a proper location. I have never seen censored posts because people had a bad experience.

Remember,  "50% of everything you read on the internet is made up"  Abraham Lincoln.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »

Remember,  "50% of everything you read on the internet is made up"  Abraham Lincoln.

Good one, Rupert.  ;)

And there are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

;D
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:36 pm »
Hi Cityview,
It is a very fair and important question. Rupert's correct- unless the post veers wildly away from the original topic, get nasty, or need to be relocated, the Moderators and I do NOT censor posts. ANA provides information and expressly states that it is the patient's responsibility to do his or her own due diligence when choosing providers and making decisions about treatment. I hope the forum has been a helpful resource for you as well as all the users.
I am happy to discuss more if you would like to email me or call:
Director@anausa.org or 770-205-8211.
Best regards, Allison Feldman, CEO, ANA

areles

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 06:53:38 pm »
just because i feel like i may be the one who inspired this conversation:

the mods did not censor me.  i had a dark moment a few nights ago, and in a fit of pique, later deleted the comments i made earlier that evening.  i regret destroying the flow of that conversation, as well as causing unrelated parties to worry about censorship, but it was just a bit of a freakout on my part, and one that, had i taken a moment, might not have resulted in the same reaction.

my apologies for any consternation or concern i caused. 

it's just, this is hard (as i'm sure everyone reading this understands), and it's hard (despite that good company) to not feel alone from time to time.  i wish this were me going through this, rather than my son.  i feel like it would be easier.  it's hard facing the unknown with respect to your only child, especially after having already faced it 20 years prior.  though that's not necessary an excuse for freaking out.

all in all, today  is a good day. his facial paralysis is a little worse than a few days ago (despite the docs prescribing on friday), but i suppose the fact that his pain is low and his spirits are high is, for today, quite enough for me.

i thank those who are reading this for doing so, and i'm grateful this forum is here, and again, i apologize for deleting comments and causing concern.
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}