Author Topic: BAHA (Bone anchored hearing aid) anyone  (Read 3375 times)

Malboni

BAHA (Bone anchored hearing aid) anyone
« on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »
I had my right sided AN 1.5 cm X 2cm removed by surgery in Sept 2015 and have the usual balance and headache issues.
My hospital have told me about a hearing aid the screws info your skull on your deaf side and directs sound to your good side, which appantly helps with directional hearing.
Does anyone have one or any information as to whether they actually work and are worth going through even more surgery.
My wound has also started to sink considerably, is this normal. I do have lots of tenderness around the scarring site.

caryawilson

Re: BAHA (Bone anchored hearing aid) anyone
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:25:25 am »
I'll give my brief experience with hearing aids. As most AN surgery patients, I have SSD and one good ear. First of all the good news. BAHA is normally paid by insurance. So while most insurance won't spend $5,000 for hearing aids, they'll cover the $15k BAHA   .... Strange.

I trialed the CROS and BAHA headband. Clearly BAHA is real cool and I could see how you could start to understand direction since the sound is a little different. However, for me, the hearing aids are worse than SSD. I trialed the Phonak CROS II, and I didn't like that they amplified background noise as well as voice. For example, grocery bags would crinkle and be almost as audible as voice. This appeared to be the same issue with my BAHA headband trial.

For the most part, I have no quality of life issues with SSD. Not I'm socially active and there are certain situations that are impossible with SSD. For example, someone sitting next to the deaf ear. I've learned to adjust my life so when I sit in a restaurant, walk down the hallway, etc. I minimize people next to my deaf ear.

I'll immediately buy hearings aids if they were better at separating noise from voice. Until then, I'll save my money.

However, as with all AN topics, i'm sure others have the opposite conclusion as me. As we know, there is no right answer when it comes to AN.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:04 am »
I have had my Baha for about 18 mos, and for me it doesn’t help with direction or separating background noise (although there is a setting to limit background noise). But I still wear it nearly all day, every day. It is very helpful when someone is talking to me on the affected side. At least I know someone is there speaking, and I can turn to better understand them. There have been instances when I’m not wearing it when someone has had to tap me on the shoulder and I have to explain myself ("sorry, I'm deaf on that side"). Personally, that’s about all it’s good for. Loud, social situations are still a nightmare.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:20 pm »
Malboni,

There's a search box at the top right of this page. Put in BAHA and click on search and you'll bring up numerous discussions about BAHA.

You can also search CROS as there have been many discussions about it, too.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »
Have had a BAHA for five years now, just got my upgrade last week. It's a help at work and in quiet social situations. No help with with directionality at all. My new BAHA came with a bluetooth streamer so I have wireless audio and phone calls in my head. That's helpful as well.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.