Author Topic: Chewing food after Cyber Knife  (Read 3931 times)

MG

Chewing food after Cyber Knife
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:34:47 am »
Hi Everybody,

Has anyone had a clicking sound when chewing their food on your AN side after Cyber Knife? It has been six weeks post CK and it bothers me to chew. Just wondering.

Thanks,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

flash

Re: Chewing food after Cyber Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:35:15 am »
I have TMJ and there's a loud clicking sound when I chew.  Have you been stressed about the treatment process?  That's a factor in TMJ if it causes you to grind or clench  your teeth.  Mine was around long before the AN though.

john1455

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:29 am »
Hi MG,

The clicking you hear is not related to the CK treatment you received. If you are really interested in all the "gory details" please message me and I can go into much more detail about TMJ and what causes the clicking sounds. It's way too long and involved to get into here. I treated TMJ from 1984 to 2006 before retiring from private dental practice and have attended well over 900 hours of advanced continuing dental education courses in the diagnosis and treatment of TMJ disorders so I know of what I speak.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

MG

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:06 am »
Flash and john1455,   Thank you both for this information. I was afraid it was TMJ but hoping not. I didn't think I was grinding my teeth but I do sleep very restlessly. I guess I will be heading to my dentist.

Thanks,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

flash

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
I used a guard for a while and stopped chewing gum entirely.  The thing that helped me the very most was when I was in physical therapy for a different issue, I just happened to reference TMJ.  The next thing I knew, the PT put a glove on and had two fingers inside my cheek massaging with her thumb on the outside of my jaw.  It was bizzare.  But it was also like magic.  I had a muscle in a knot right where the top and bottom jaw kind of hinge - the massage released that trigger point.  I felt like a different person.  When I hear clicking or feel that area get tight, I just do the same thing she did.  It is fantastic.  I'm sure there's a YouTube video out there for it.  ;)

MG

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:56:57 pm »
Wow flash! I will try that. Thanks for telling me about it. :)

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.