Author Topic: Oh Man have I been tired  (Read 5658 times)

heyyouconnie

Oh Man have I been tired
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:51:22 pm »
I have been so tired lately. I go to bed at 10pm and sleep thru the night. But I take one or maybe two naps a day. Then I lay down when ever I can. I had my surgery 4 months ago and was wondering if any of you are as tired. I usually have a very low ongoing headache or neckache too.  (yyaawwwnnnn)

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Oh Man have I been tired
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 04:03:35 pm »
Tired is my middle name and has been for 14 years, if I haven't anything I must do I sleep....at least until I had children, now I just run around yawning all the time. When I was in the first few months post-op I slept as a hobbie! It will get better as time goes on but for now rest when you feel the need and don't push yourself too much, gradually decrease by force as you near the time you plan to return to work until you get to a "work routine" of sleep. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

bluestar

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 04:41:52 pm »
I was "tired" until I have started taking meds for vestibular problems. Since then I have been a lot better. But this is just recently and I am 2 years post op. My "tiredness" was complete exhaustion - I could not do anything but lie down. I couldn't concentrate and made more and more mistakes if I tried to keep on going. Now with the meds is the first time I can see myself having a life where I can do things - not all the things I used to do but at last I have some ENERGY. It is great.

I found out about the meds through the internet. None of my Doctors suggested them but when I went to my GP and asked she said that this was a common problem with balance disorders and happily gave me the scripts. My 2 surgeons had not mentioned that there was treatment.

I'm not sure when you can start the meds but it may be worth asking. If not meds there may be other things you can do like vestibular therapy. or even both.

Good luck - but there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Bluestar
bluestar

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:51:30 pm »
I was wondering if any of you have been really tired before surgery? I seem to want to sleep all the time. I don't know if its a symptom of the AN or if its the stress of going through this.
I have people around me telling me to suck it up....get more exercise... :'( I have been trying but the fatigue still gets me. Can anyone help, tell me if this is normal?
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

bluestar

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 11:19:32 pm »
I was exhausted for years before surgery. I had the surgery almost as soon as I was diagnosed so it certainly wasn't from fear of surgery. I am sure now that the AN caused balance problems  which caused me to become exhausted. I realise now I couldn't exercise because it worsened the balance problem but I could not describe the feeling - so of course I disliked exercise.

I have recently found that I can use a treadmill at home without balance difficulties and I seem to be energised afterwards - so there is an instant reward. This, plus meds are overcoming the exhaustion (it is really more than "tiredness" or "fatigue").

I hope this helps. If you wish you can contact me directly and I will tell you more of what has helped me.

Goodluck,

Bluestar
bluestar

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 08:14:07 am »
Thank you Bluestar. I have been really exhausted for quite a while too but I was blaming it on everything under the sun. Had no idea I had this tumor, so you are right about being tired even before my diagnosis.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

rntiggergirl

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 12:30:21 pm »
Bluestar-
What meds are you taking? I would love to research them myself and talk to my doctor. I also have severe vestibular problems to the point that I don't like to go out of the house at this point (My original surgery was 12/03, middle fossa at House Ear). I will be having a labrynthectomy (removal of the inner ear on my AN side) on 8/13/05 and I am hoping this helps.  My doctor explains the vestibular problems are probably caused by nerve fibers that are still alive in my AN ear that are giving off bad signals to my brain. All of this keeps me very tired and just wanting to do nothing. 

Cheryl

bluestar

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 03:19:51 pm »
I take 1mg Valium in the morning and 1 mg in the afternoon. I asked the GP about addiction problems and she told me that if it was needed for a medical condition to take it, as a lot of medications are addictive but Valium has a bad name. I am going to try and get an even smaller dose and see if that works. (At present I am halving 2 mg tabs.)

But I have my life back again!

Hope this helps you and good luck,

Bluestar
bluestar

sonshine

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 09:21:03 am »
Hi,

My doctor told me as I was about to be released to go home from the hospital after my AN was removed that I would notice that I get tired more easily.  I also have facial weakness on my tumor side.  He told me that the more tired I got that I would notice my face showing more weakness.  I had surgery 3 years ago and have found this to be so true.  I believe it will always be this way.  I have talked to many AN patient's and all tell me that they get so tired.  It seems to be a given thing with us.  Don't let family and friends make you feel guilty.  You have been through brain surgery!  Do the best you can.  This is a common side effect we all will deal with after AN surgery.  You may find after a  long while after your surgery that some pep may return and it may take years.  Do your best and when you need rest it is your bodie's way of telling you it needs it!  Don't deny yourself this.  And don't let "other people" put a guilt trip on you when they have not been in your shoes!

Pembo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 09:17:21 am »
The dr told me to expect one week of fatigue for every hour of anesthesia and that was about right. I had extreme fatigue for years before surgery and now 13 months post surgery I have a lot more energy. Just rest.....it got better for me.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

amn70

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 12:56:43 pm »
It is good to hear that I am not alone with extreme fatigue. I expected it right after surgery but six months after surgery, I am still so tired. I have to force myself to work out and have been making great gains in that area (former recreational runner looking to compete in races again) but I cannot shake the fatigue. I meditate, try to get enough sleep, work out 4-5 times a week,am working 8-10 hour days at work---I miss my energy and good to hear in some cases that it does return. To those that have had regained your energy, did you have an active lifestyle before your surgery, too?

iowaboy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 07:21:44 pm »
My doctor told me to expect times when I would be tired. I am 4 months post-op and that has gotten much better. He said expect days when you are energized, and days you're tired. So far he has been 100% right. I am having fewer fatigue days now. My job can be stressful and demanding but I've manageed to keep up. I feel better each day.