Author Topic: Pictures of my TransEar  (Read 11430 times)

matti

Pictures of my TransEar
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:19:14 pm »
I've had some requests asking to post pictures of my TransEar...here she is

Processor is behind the ear -   Square button controls 2 listening programs.  Program 1 is used for a more quiet environment and program 2 is a noise reduction for a crowded room, restaurant, etc..     Volume control and on/off is just above that

It is very comfortable, although I do not wear it all day, as it tends to get moisture build up and as you can see the transfer unit blends in fairly well

It works on the same principal as the BAHA in which sound is conducted through bone. I was asked if I have total hearing loss in that ear and yes I do, my hearing nerve was sacrificed to save my facial nerve.

Cheryl

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:03:43 am by matti »
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Pictures of my TransEar
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:51:34 am »
Cheryl,

How does the TransEar work? It's not the same principle as the BaHa is it? Transfering sound from the deaf side to the good side.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:55:15 am »
I have an appointment with my ENT next Wednesday and will ask about it.

Thanks,  Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

mylump

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:56:38 am »
I wonder why they don't design those more like a piece of jewellery. Could look great!  :) Why try to mask it off which doesn't really work that well, make a feature of it! Glad it works well for you, and thanks for the pics. I'll get on to TransEar and see what the process is.
Lorenzo

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 01:01:42 am »
Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!
What is the diffrence between the Transear, and a hearing aid? I can only go through beltone (per insurance co.), but I like what you have.
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:18:22 am »
Matti between your left TransEar and my right we make a sister pair!  Please telll me what you mean by "moisture buildup".  I wear mine higher above my ear and not tucked in so much.  I think the wire on mine is the "short" size.  Were you told something about where this part has to be situated?

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:20:57 am »
Sam, I didn't know Beltone had anything for SSD.

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:33:23 am »
I'm not for sure, but if they do not, I might be in trouble. I went for my evaluation 12/05/06, the doctor explained that I had 50% chance of losing my hearing in the affected ear, I'm just trying to collect all info possible and stay 1 step ahead. I have seen similar devices on their website. 
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 03:03:04 am »
Okay, this may sound dumb & dumber but,

Is it for use even if the facial nerve was cut?   No vestibular nerve?
I'd love to hear in stereo again.
I'll also check with my dr. in January       Thanks, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:53:26 am »
Cheryl,

You wok maa-welous!!!! :)  Looks fantastic and you can't even tell!  Gotta love modern technology, eh?  BTW, can you hear me now? :)

Boppie, between you and Cheryl, you got full hearing! Awesome!!!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:31:02 am »
Cheryl,
    Looks great, thanks for the pics. Thanks for answering about the total hearing loss. Boppie, did you have TOTAL loss too. What I'm getting at is if the trans ear is best  for total hearing loss patients. or would it be helpful for someone who has a itsy bitsy bit of hearing left but not really servicable hearing.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

mylump

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 09:55:43 am »
Cheryl,

I'm sorry if I sounded negative on my previous post, didn't mean to! Oooops, sorry.... I think it's great that you got it and that it works so well. I'm trying to find out if I can get one too. And it looks good too, I mean it.

Personally I would prefer something that was a bit more 'jazzed up', well, I am a designer... can't help myself. Maybe silver, or white, or some nice colour, even transparent so I could see all the bits inside the thing...  :)

Patti, I was just asking myself the same question too. I have 75% hearing left but really bad voice recognition. Wonder how they would work in that case. Anybody got a contact at TransEar?

Ciao

Lorenzo

matti

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 10:42:14 am »
Lorenzo - Rick Gilbert is the TransEar VP who I am sure would be more than willing to help answer any of your questions. I will send you his e-mail through your private e-mail. Also check out www.TransEar.com website, which also has a FAQ section. I didn't think you sounded negative at all, I agree with you, I would love to jazz this thing up for different occasions, perhaps this could open up a whole new design trend in the hearing aid field ;D   I do believe the TransEar will work with some hearing left in the bad ear, but I believe you have to have close to perfect hearing in the good ear ???

Crazycat - Yes, the TransEar works on the same principal, when the sound is received on the bad side, it drives the vibrator in the transfer unit and the signals are transfrerred via bones in the skull to the cochlea in the good ear. If I were you, I would ask your ENT if you could take home and try the BAHA test band for a week. This will give you a good idea on what the TransEar will sound like as well.

I was not a candidate for the BAHA due to extreme head sensitivity.

Nancy - There is no such thing as a dumb question! It will work perfectly fine if the facial nerve was cut, again as I mentioned to Crazycat, to get a good sense of what it will sound like, I would ask your ENT to try out the BAHA test band.

Boppie - If I wear my TransEar for more than 5 or 6 hours, I guess the ear canal sweats (I did not know it did that)  and then becomes uncomfortable. I see my audiologist today for software adjustments. She did want to bend the wire at the fitting, so it sat higher, but that would put it where my "dent" is and that is a very sensitive area.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

marjoryb

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 11:00:08 am »
cheryl,
How does the Trans Ear work in a crowd ?  I can't hear a thing even with one good ear if I'm with a large group (like in a restaurant) or at a dinner party.    And, how long after surgery do they consider you a candidate for a Trans Ear?   Has anyone had their hearing return on its own after 4 or 6 or 12 months after surgery? 

Marjoryb

mylump

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 11:04:53 am »
Thanks Matti, looking forward to talking to Rick Gilbert! Who knows, I might be able to get it anyway on a trip to the US. I do have perfect hearing on my other side, thankfully! Lets see if we can shake up the hearing aid fashion a bit, shall we? I'll talk to him about it. Would ba an interesting design project! Hemmmmm

Wonder how many people would prefer to have a more jewelry like item? Anybody? Opinions? I can feel a pro-bono project coming along maybe...

Good question Marjoryb, how is the sound discrimination in a growded place? I know I can't distinguish between noise I want to hear and other noises, it's all the same at the moment. Wonder how that is with TransEar in place?

Ciao

Lorenzo