Author Topic: Pictures of my TransEar  (Read 11429 times)

matti

Re: Pictures of my TransEar
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 11:23:05 am »
Marjory - Boppie would be better at answering that question, as my TransEar needs some software adjustments, I keep getting the whistling feed back and it is interferring with that particular program. Boppie started a thread a while back about her TransEar experience and I believe she talks about crowded and noisy situtations.

The sound that comes through the bad side does have a different tone and quality (tin can sounding).

Lorenzo - Since I am Italian (Sicilian) could you design me an Italian flag cover or the map of Italy for my TransEar ;D   (My brother's name is Lorenzo)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 11:30:03 am »
I'm in the process of getting either the transear or the cross through VR.  Slow process but hey they're paying.  I have called transear twice and emailed them and have gotten prompt info and responses. They even sent a package to my audiologist who had never heard of transear.  I have no residual hearing, I do have my hearing nerve intact and have been told that either one will be ok to eliminate my ssd.  

Cheryl thanks for sharing your pics!  Hoping I'll have something to share by the beginning of the new year.
I want a pink glitter whatever I get with a pirate emblem...think I'll get it?  LOL
I did regain a weeeeeeee bit of hearing (ask matti I called her late one night  LOL)  It's not enough to be cosidered viable but it did get rid of the one sided feeling I had.  I also actually used to my bad ear to make a phone call.  I needed to dial the number and hear the ring start so I could put the good phone on my good ear and was able to hear what I needed to.  Of course the house has to be QUIET! 

M

mylump

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 11:35:58 am »
Italian flag coming up! That'll be two of us so! I can feel my mind starting to design... pink glitter, silver, flags, skull and bones, transparent, white... How about glow in the dark?
Ciao Cheryl,
Lorenzo (the other one)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 12:20:22 pm »
I want pink day-glo in the dark with a skull and cross gold swords and diamond eyes that blink!!!!
Yippee! Also I want it to work, not just be stunning to look at! ::)

Capt Deb,  8) the queen of glitz
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

mylump

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:41 pm »
I'll see what I can do. Diamonds or plasic blinking eyes?

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 04:45:44 pm »
This sounds (no pun intended) really exciting. I'm only into my fouth month of post-op, but I'm a rough time adapting to SSD.
I see my doctor in a few weeks and Transear will surely be at top of my list. I am wondering about tinitis in the deaf ear. My varies contsantly; however, it's always there. Does anyone out there with a Transear have tinitis and if so can you explain how it's effected?

Thanks
T
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Boppie

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 06:27:22 pm »
Every time I wear the TransEar I like it more.  I feel more normal with it in and can enjoy groups and restaurant conversation once again.  I like shopping and walking next to a speaker without turning sideways to see the lips.  I have no second thoughts about getting it. 

About loud noisy rooms...I find hearing one conversation from my partner in a room full of loud conversations is still difficult with the TransEAr.  My husband says I am asking too much of my aid if I expect to hear in that type of situation.  That type of sound is discordant and jarring to anybody's nerves.  But I like the way the aid works in my guild meetings.  We have about 60 people in there for a gereral business meeting.   People speak from the floor frequently.  I can hear all that is said from both sides of the room. 

Singing and listening to music is fine too.  I can hear the musicians on my deaf side better and their tones and mix of harmonies is clear again.  My normal good side hearing is down a bit (normal for aging, they say) in the highest frequencies, and my pre op hearing was only 35% in word recognition on the AN side.  So I was not hearing much from the AN side, just muffled stuff.  The TransEar allows me to hear all but the highest frequencies that occur on both sides.

Note:  No hearing aid can replace a frequency deficit.  The good cochlea cannot replace sounds it cannot sense.

I still don't know which direction hidden sounds are coming from.  I have not yet learned if there is any benefit to be gained from a TransEar that establishes directionality.  The TransEar site mentions that "some people" can discern directions with their aid.  The jury is still out on this point with me.  Maybe my brain can still learn something new.  I will surely report to the forum if I learn more from my TransEar.

Tinnitus is less of a problem with my TransEar on.  I think the reason lies in the idea that a busy brain does not hear tinnitus as an overpowering presence.  Did you ever notice how bad tinnitus is at night?  I haven't felt bothered by tinnitus since I told my brain to get busy and ignore it.

About tinnitus.  Post op I had tinnitus three times louder than pre op.  In the beginning and until around the 6th month comisserated and groaned about my tinnitus.  I decided some time this past summer to get over the tinnitus by ignoring it just as I had learned to deal with the buzz sound pre op.  Between the ignoring exercises and the experience of getting the hearing aid fitted and borken in I learned to ignore tinnitus.  The only time it comes up and bites me in the brain is when I start bragging and talking about it...like now, so I DONMENTIONIT!   ;D

lmurray69

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 06:29:19 pm »
I think anything that can help you hear is great..And yours looks great. I wear a hear aide in the right ear deaf in left now. I hope that you have very much success and just love the things you hear.. I freaked out the first time I heard traffic, and people carring change in their pocket and jingleing keys. at first they drive ya nuts ..I was always saying what was that..And waite till they drop a food tray.. wow...but ajust slow...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Boppie

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 06:34:02 pm »
I need to clarify...Tinnitus is not cured with a hearing aid.  A busy brain can ignore tinnitus, though.  A hearing aid gives the brain a job to do and tinnitus can be ignored more easily.

matti

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 08:08:51 pm »
Well I had my TransEar reprogrammed today and learned a few interesting things from my audiologists. She has fitted 5 patients with the TransEar and 3 out of the five including myself, are complaining about the sound level not being high enough. Since getting my aid last Thursday I have had to use the highest volume setting to get any benefit, along with that I was getting the whistling feed back. While I was wearing my TransEar she hooked me into the computer and was able to see which levels needed adjustments and at what level I was processing sound to the good ear. Since leaving the audiologists office, I am noticing a better sound quality and little to no feedback. I am trying these new adjustments and will see her again next Monday. There is the possibility that I may have to have my transEar remade, as the transfer unit may not be snug enough in the canal.

If I have any complaints at all, I think it would be with the 30 day guarantee. I understand almost all hearing aid manufacturers give a 45 -60 day guarantee and some will extend to 90. With all the reprogramming that needs to be done with mine, I am worried that when I finally get it to the proper settings I won't have time to fully test it and determine if it is right for me. I hopeTransEar is listening (no pun intended)!

I am going out to lunch tomorrow, so looking forward to testing it and next Friday is my son's college graduation, so that will really give it a good work out.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 08:19:03 pm »
I need to clarify...Tinnitus is not cured with a hearing aid.  A busy brain can ignore tinnitus, though.  A hearing aid gives the brain a job to do and tinnitus can be ignored more easily.

Guess my brain must not be busy enough then because my tinitus ROARS constantly. The only relief is when I am asleep. Yes, when I am busy working or running the kids around, doing housework, etc, it is less noticable but ALWAYS there,and  loud. Then when, like you say at night, or when driving in the car alone with no other talking going on it is louder. I try real hard not to think about it but it is so overpowering, It's NEVER not there. All I need is a miricle. All the other post op stuff would be more tolerable if I could just make it stop. But I know that is not going to happen. SO I keep hoping one of these hearing aids will help the siituation.
 Thank you to both Boppie and Matti for being the firsts to try the Trans ear and keep us informed.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Boppie

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 10:02:54 pm »
Matti, I get good summation with the other side on a 2¾ setting, but it is a low volume.  If I turn my TransEar up to 3+ I  get some feedback too!  My audiologist told me to settle on this medium setting for best results.  She also said other hearing aids have the same faults, high volume setting = more feedback   :'(  . 

Also, I notice a warm sensation in my ear canal when I am next to a really loud person on my aid side.  I turn that person down. 

Did you ever notice some people are just too noisy?  They turn their voices up to volume 5   24/7.   ::)  They blast our brains!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:00:11 am by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 10:05:44 pm »
I'd be interested to learn what the volume levels on Cros aids for SSD produce.  Maybe I can get a response from Nate.

matti

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 11:17:32 pm »
Boppie - A very good friend of mine is a loud talker and I did have to turn the volume down.  I come from a loud Italian family, so I'm thinking TransEar should stay home on Christmas Day LOL.

My volume is now programmed between 3 and 4 and my audiologist was able to reduce the feedback, I am still not getting any sound transfer on volume 2. It's still in work in progress, so I continue to be patient.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

mylump

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 11:23:45 pm »
That's all very interesting! make sme think that maybe my idea of going to the US next year and possibly getting one fitted might not work after all, I'd have to be there for too long in case of problems... Sigh. Still, I'll get in touch with TransEar and see. Reading this with interest, Thanks you all!

Ah, those Italian families! Ya. I keep away from mine, not difficult to do, they live in Italy, I don't!  :)  Mind you, the Irish in law family is rather noisy too. I use ear plugs, bright yellow ones preferably. Usually gets the message across.

I love silence, tinnitus or not. Weird. Supposed to make it louder, but for me for some reasson it seems to relax me. Mine isn't loud, just rustling leaves in the wind type sound, so much easier to get used to. Keeping the brain active and avoiding noise helps a lot to make it less noticeable. There are some systems to overcome loud roaring tinnitus by the way.

All the best and ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:34:57 pm by mylump »