Author Topic: scleral lens question/issues  (Read 143 times)

Kbthor

scleral lens question/issues
« on: July 11, 2024, 06:18:04 pm »
Hi!  I am 11 years post surgery for my acoustic neuroma, and I have finally gotten a scleral lens just today.  I had no issues putting it in or taking it out.  However, after I left the doctor, my eye started to feel dry - but I thought it was just what it felt like to get used to the feeling of the lens in my eye.  I removed the scleral lens tonight, and oh my goodness my eye was so painful and dry. Does anyone have any tips for how to put it in? I think because the doctor's assistant had me look up and put it in, maybe all of the liquid leaked out of the lens??  Do you have to lean over a mirror and put it in?  Is there a cap on the number of hours I can wear it?  Any suggestions about daily use of the scleral lens would be helpful.  Thank you!

Jill Marie

Re: scleral lens question/issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 12:32:43 pm »
Hi, So sorry to here the lens is causing you pain.  I got the scleral lens years ago, it worked great for me for a while then I had to stop using it.  I know others have worn it without any problems.  From what I remember I was told to wear it just 2 maybe 4 hours the first day and then work up to wearing it all day.  Perhaps you are like me and will still need eye ointment with the lens.  I don't remember how they told me to put it in.  Hopefully someone else reads your post and can help you. 

After about 5 years the scleral lens made my eye really painful, not sure why.  My eye doctor then had me try the ACUVUE OASYS® 1-Day lens with HydraLuxe.  The lens costs me about a dollar a day, I put it in first thing in the morning then throw it away at night. I still need eye ointment with the lens but not nearly as much as without it and I don't have any pain.  I've been using the lens for about 10 years.

I hope your eye gets use to the lens so it works for you, if not you may want to check out the daily lens I mentioned.  Let us know how you are doing?  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.