Author Topic: Gamma knife - Pittsburgh vs Vanderbilt??  (Read 2560 times)

SunnyDaze

Gamma knife - Pittsburgh vs Vanderbilt??
« on: July 27, 2024, 10:47:23 am »
Really appreciate this site - I have learned so much here in recent days!! Thank you to all the wise veterans.
I am 68 yo otherwise healthy female, newly diagnosed with 1.4 cm x 4 mm tumor, moderate hearing loss on right, perfect hearing on the left, right sided headaches and some balance issues. Would like to preserve hearing and get back to playing golf if possible, as I can barely hit the ball. My ENT has recommended GK and suggested Pittsburgh or Vanderbilt. We live in Kentucky, so they are both a relatively easy trip. Wondering what experience others have had with these centers.
Thanks!

donjehle

Re: Gamma knife - Pittsburgh vs Vanderbilt??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 12:57:48 pm »
Hi SunnyDaze, and welcome to the ANA Forums!  Thank you for posting.

I live a couple of hours away from Vanderbilt, and I continue to hear great things about their acoustic neuroma treatment there.  However, I have also heard good reports from UPMC and Allegheny Health in Pittsburgh.

But there are a couple of options for you to consider.  First, the ANA offers support groups where you can chat with people who live in Nashville or Pittsburgh and have firsthand experience with the treatment centers and doctors in those cities -- although I am not sure that the support group in Pittsburgh is still functioning.  Being able to speak to a live person is a great option.  I haven't checked, but there might even be peer mentors in both cities.  You can look for peer mentors on the ANA website.

Another option is to search these forums.  The way to do this is to go to the Home site of the forums by clicking on the Home button on the upper left corner of this page  (what you do next will not work on the page you are currently on).  The in the search field on the right side type in what you want to search for (like "Vanderbilt", "UPMC", "Allegheny" or a specific doctor's name.  And then hit your <Enter> key on your keyboard.  It will then retrieve every time on these forums that "Vanderbilt" (or whatever you searched for) is mentioned.  Sometimes this can be helpful to see what others on the forums have shared about "UPMC" and their experiences there.

I wish you the best as you search for helpful information and I wish you the best on your acoustic neuroma journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2024, 01:06:56 pm »
I just searched for Nashville.  The next ANA support group there is:

Tuesday, August 13, 2024
6:00 p.m. CT

Questions or more information:

Lauren Vaden, Support Group Leader
Call 615-232-4929 or email
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2024, 01:24:34 pm »
Thank you so much! I will check it out!

MikeRad

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2024, 09:26:34 pm »
Hi SunnyDaze. Welcome to our club. I was watch and wait for 10+ years before having Gamma Knife.  Had a small AN with no growth for 9+ years which then grew significantly and I decided it was time for treatment.  Not sure what part of Kentucky you live but I live in the Cincinnati area and have been seeing Ron Warnick at the Mayfield Clinic here for the past 10 years. He did my GK procedure in June.  He's also treated a few folks who have posted here in the past if you search for his name in the forums.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2024, 06:02:12 am »
Thank you, good to know! I was not aware of the Mayfield Clinic. I grew up in Cincinnati and now live in Louisville. I have a video conference scheduled next week with Dr. Niranjan at UPMC, so I will see what he has to say.

DanFouratt

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2024, 01:25:56 pm »
Sunnydaze,

I have found people in this group are very approachable. I picked up the phone and called leaders.  When I first started this journey I called someone then met in person for several hours.  We are a small but strong community.

I went CK at UNC.

Good Luck,

Dan
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23            
MRI 6/14/24            7mm x 12 mm