Author Topic: Crystal violet related to vestibular schwannoma?  (Read 838 times)

StarryNights123

Crystal violet related to vestibular schwannoma?
« on: August 05, 2024, 05:01:20 am »
Hey everyone,

As a 23 year old diagnosed with a 2.5cm vestibular schwannoma, I've been looking into what could've caused it and for how long I've had it.

I found some doctor's notes from 2018 noting that hearing in my left side (VS side) was weakened. This was when I was 17.

I've been having intermittent issues with that ear ever since I visited Montenegro as a 10 year old and got a severe ear infection, where I was in severe pain and my ear was bleeding. We visited a local ENT and they put a gauze with crystal violet in my ear which was there for days (didn't help at all).

Recent research shows that crystal violet is carcinogenic, causes tumor growth in animals:
https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/crnr/gentianviolethid011719.pdf
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26613989/

Has anyone had similar experiences with crystal violet that may have contributed to their vestibular schwannoma?

mwatto

Re: Crystal violet related to vestibular schwannoma?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 02:43:18 am »
Hiya. Ok firstly what we have is benign so thats unlikely. Often there is no known cause for an acoustic neuroma. There is a theory that  xrays of head and neck as a child can cause an AN (in my case that is a possibility I had dental xrays as a child), plus maybe a genetic susceptibility:  'The cause of acoustic neuromas can sometimes be linked to a problem with a gene on chromosome 22. Typically, this gene produces a tumor suppressor protein that helps control the growth of Schwann cells covering the nerves. However, experts don't know what causes this problem with the gene that leads to an overproduction Schwann cells.
The only confirmed risk factor for acoustic neuromas is having a parent with the rare genetic disorder neurofibromatosis type 2. However, neurofibromatosis type 2 only accounts for about 5% of acoustic neuroma cases (and is usually bilateral).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 02:45:06 am by mwatto »
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing