Author Topic: Hey guys, joining the club [37 M] need some people to talk to  (Read 5188 times)

Cidoh

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Living in Australia btw.
About 3 weeks ago I had an episode of sudden onset sensorineural hearing loss, treated immediately with steroids and hyperbaric and per audiograms this pretty much fully resolved but there was some high frequency hearing loss on the right, and I recalled noticing that my hearing seemed a little reduced on that side prior to this.
Had an MRI today and the radiographer (not radiologist) clearly had seen something and asked me to come back soon for a contrast scan. Being a health care professional I asked her to level with me and she said she saw something "pressing on the nerve", that is looked benign and probably an acoustic neuroma. I know what they are due to my profession but I have never really deep dived if I'm honest.

Anyway so now I'm in the terror phase, no idea what to expect or how to process this, awaiting the contrast scan tomorrow and then I guess a specialist review in a week.
Any words of wisdom or things to keep in mind at this stage would be very welcome. I am asking ChatGPT to find my posts by people who are, regardless offering outcomes etc., living life happily years later - that kind of thing would be nice.

Also I have quite intense sinus and eustachian tube symptoms on the same side (crackling, popping, fullness that comes and goes, post nasal drip, crazy sinus pressure, boominess to loud noises when that ear is crackling and blocked feeling) which really throws me off and constantly make me worried for my ear, although it seems very intermittent, most of the time the ear feels basically fine and hearing fine other than pre-existing tinnitus flaring lately.

Mark F.

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
Re: Hey guys, joining the club [37 M] need some people to talk to
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2026, 12:31:20 PM »
Welcome to the club.   You are at a stressful point right now.   The unknowns, and the anxiety are high.   Acoustic Neuromas are slow growing, so if the symptoms are not major you will probably be in for a long watch and wait period, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.   I know your first instinct is to hurry up and do something about it, but due to the fact that they sometimes quit growing all together, you really are best to monitor it first.  And while you are doing that, research the treatments so that if the time comes you are prepared to make the decision on how to proceed.  There really is no best options that fits everyone, it's a personal thing.   People have great outcomes no matter what path they choose.   I chose the surgical route, it was what was best for me, others have chosen the radiations route and it was good for them too.   You will hear the horror stories of the worst case scenario, Google is full of those.  And of course the famous people with AN.   You don't hear a lot about the positive outcomes, but believe me there are several.   AN is not the end of the world, in fact for me it actually pushed me to become a healthier person.   I wouldn't say I'm glad I got it, but there have been far worse things in my life. 

v357139

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 548
Re: Hey guys, joining the club [37 M] need some people to talk to
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2026, 08:11:40 PM »
Hi Cidoh welcome.  I had a 3.5cm removed by the translab approach in 2013 and I am doing great!!!!  I work out, swim, bike, play golf, etc.  No pain and no problems.

The first thing you should know is that generally speaking there are many more good outcomes than bad.  The important things are to do your research and get consults with highly experienced teams.  That gives you a great chance of a good outcome.  In many cases there are 3 options: 1) wait and watch, 2) surgery, 3) radiosurgery.  With highly experienced teams, both surgery and radiosurgery have high success rates.  Fyi I flew from NY to CA for my surgery.

Let us know when you get the official results from the doctor.  My anxiety was sky high so I know what you are going through.  If I got through it, so can you.  I am more than happy to talk, text, or email if you wish.  Fyi my sister in law lives down there by Canberra.
Rich
3.5cm removed via translab by Schwartz and Slattery Nov 2013.  No complications.  Excellent result!!!