Life is great!
Three years ago, I never would have imagined I’d be writing this. At the beginning of this journey, I was scared, uncertain, and wondering what life would look like on the other side.
Today, I can honestly say that life is pretty darn good.
I’ve come to an understanding with the SSD and tinnitus. They’re simply part of my life now. I’ve learned to adapt, find the humor in things, and keep moving forward. When we go out with a group, I get to assign the seating locations. There are always a few people I place in the “dead zone.” My wife is getting used to it. 😊
The tumor shrank a little on my MRI in April, which was encouraging. My ENT wants to evaluate me for a hearing aid this December. I’m not sure how much it will help, but I’m willing to give it a shot. I do the Delta test and use their entertainment system. With the volume fully cranked up, I can hear a little in the bad ear. I’m not expecting a miracle from the evaluation—although I’m pretty sure I’ll get a bill! 😂
Three years post CK and 2½ years post open-heart surgery, I’m a happy camper.
We’re going to hit almost 90 days of traveling this year. We’re also now grandparents, which is absolutely awesome. There are moments when I stop and think about how far life has come, and I’m incredibly grateful.
I’m sharing this for those who are just starting their journey and are scared. I was scared too. I remember what those early days felt like—the uncertainty, the questions, and wondering what the future would hold.
But here’s what I’ve learned: keep moving forward, one day at a time. You may not know what life will look like a year or three years from now, but there can still be so many good things waiting for you on the other side of the fear.
This group gave me strength when I needed it most. The experiences, encouragement, and support from people who understood what I was going through made a difference in my journey.
So to everyone here who is still in the middle of their journey: hang in there. Take it one step at a time. There is life after the diagnosis, and there can be a lot of good life to live.
I’m proof that the road may not always be exactly what you expected, but it can still lead to some pretty wonderful places.
I truly thank you all for the support you gave me—and continue to give others.
And please don’t tell my heart group, but this group may be smaller… but it sure is a whole lot more supportive. 😊
Thank you all,
Dan