Author Topic: peripheral nerve graft/repair??  (Read 2983 times)

becknell

peripheral nerve graft/repair??
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:15:39 pm »
During a surgical consult on Monday, the neurosurgeon mentioned briefly that if the facial nerve happens to be lost, he would do a peripheral nerve graft or attachment during the actual AN removal. I gather that this is some type of repair procedure?? He said he does not expect this to be necessary, so we didn't spend very much time talking about it. But I would like to understand in the event that is IS necessary. Can someone help me understand exactly what this procedure is or refer me to some source where I can read about it? Thank you!

Jennifer

gemaste

Re: peripheral nerve graft/repair??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 07:35:34 am »
What is the other details of your surgery??

jan pentecost

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:06:18 pm »
Since there is no promises,  nor could there be, of a perfect outcome, it bothers me that your doc just skimmed over this nerve graft. Depending upon which proceedure you go thru, there is a chance of temporaty facial paralysis...so is he talking of permanent paralysis? Did you talk about temp vs permanent loss? Just a suggestions but I would go over as much as you can  before surgery...no skimming over anything just because it "probably" won't happen.
My doc was really surprised with my facial paralysis..the extent of it given my tumor just popped off the nerves after he opened me up. He did do nerve conduction testing and my nerves are intact...just tweeked from the surgery. It may take well over a year or so for me to get function back....
But he did go over almost everything there was to discuss prior to surgery.
What if you do have paralysis.....what exactly will he do concerning nerve grafting? Please make sure YOU FIND OUT so that when you wake up, there are no big surprises. Ask, ask, ask.....if you don't get answers...be wary of that. He needs to be the one to explain the proceedure and you have the right to know before...not after...
When is your surgery and what appraoch will your doc be taking??
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

Goldineye

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:05:36 pm »
Hi, I believe that your surgeon is letting you know that there is a chance of nicking or severing the facial nerve.The tumer could be wrapped around it. My facial nerve was severed but they reattached it . Like Jan said FIND OUT get all the info you can get  before you go in and have your surgery done. I never thought my facial nerve would have been severed I was told there was less than a 3% chance of even nicking it. I don't say this to scare you but let the docters know you are educated in this area and do your research . And MOST IMPORTANT... Do not use a docter who gets mad if you ask TOO many questions.Get all your questions answered, investigate the docters you choose for your surgery.And remember surgeons don't want or expect anything to go wrong. So they don't talk about the "What Ifs"  Good Luck to you And God Bless. You can emil me if you have any questions... Goldineye :)
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

jan pentecost

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 09:05:26 pm »
Kristin,
 My doc told me pretty much the same thing...and I was hoping against hope not to suffer any loss of facial function. I just want your hubby to be prepared...in case. When my doc opened me up, he incised the tumor which enveloped the three nerves. He says it just popped off the nerves. BUT...the tumor had stretched the facial nerve...much like pulling on a rubber band. When the tumor released itself, the nerve popped back to somewhat of  it's original shape. But the nerve was injured as a result of the manipulation. And nerves do not heal as the rate of other parts of our body.
My doc has also done several hundred of these surgeries....he was very hopeful of my outcome and very disappointed I woke with the temporary paralysis.
You both just need to be prepared for what could happen ......and I pray that all goes well. That is why I stressed having everything discussed at length prior to the surgery....I am so grateful I read and read and asked a zillion questions.....
When I woke and realized my facial paralysis...I wasn't surprised or shocked. I prepared for my eye not being able to close...if I hadn't...it would have added stress and saddness to my recovery.
I hope you come back to the board after his surgery and tell me..."I told you so!!!" I would be ever so pleased....
Just know we have all been thru this or are going thru this......loads  of support, understanding and encouragement. Has you hubby thought of posting here? Lots of guys here are going thru this, also.
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon