Author Topic: Update: Louzilla 1 week later  (Read 3425 times)

Louzilla

Update: Louzilla 1 week later
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:59:49 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers last week! It really helped me mentally. This time last week I was tiring to relax and get some rest before surgery scheduled for early in the AM. Here's my story this week; Dr. Jackler and neurologist Dr. Harsh were my surgical team, along with a bunch of students at Stanford Medical Center.  I had a 4mm x 8mm left side AN taken out by middle fossa.  When I woke up in ICU I had a wicked headache and was given IV pain meds that put me off to la la land. I did that a few times and then they gave me Vicodin which didn't seem to do anything but make me feel terrible and give me a bad case of chills.  I begged for a different drug, and did a lot better with Percocet. I went to my regular room the next day and met with Dr. Jackler.  The surgery was text book and everything was left intact. My ear is ringing pretty loud but it should decrease, and my facial muscles were 90% functioning (even better now). Great job by my surgeon! He was highly recommended by many people on this site, and for me he hit a grand slam.  He wanted me to start walking around the floor to get my energy and balance back.  The nurses, and all the residences were great and tried to get me back home as soon as possible. Wednesday was surgery and Sunday I was on a plane back home to Reno.  I did scare a few kids at the airport with my Frankenstein gash.  When I got home however I found that I just don't do so well on Vicodin.  It gave me the chills and a terrible headache for a day until we finally realized that it was the drug.  Got some Percocet and I'm doing great now.  Get my staples out on Friday. I'll update soon.       
Lou
Middle Fossa - 4mm x 8mm A.N. left side.
Dr. Jackler - Stanford Med. Center 12/06/06

BusyBonnie

Re: Update: Louzilla 1 week later
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:24:26 am »
Louzilla,

I'm so glad to hear how well your surgery went! Congratulations on getting that horrible tumor out of your head. Keep us posted and keep doing what your doing!

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 01:28:15 am »
Lou,
  Hope you contin ue to do well. Keep up the positive attitude. Congrats, your now a postie

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Obita

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:40:22 am »
Another December postie!!  Congrats Lou.

On with your life......

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:29:54 am »
 LUIGI, YOU'RE BACK !!!!!!

Glad to hear it was 'smooth sailing', 'cept for those  headaches.... Remeber, they can last awhile.... be patient !  Also with the balance, that may take some time too - BUT YOU MADE IT !!!   YEEAAAAAHH !!!

Keep a peaceful heart my friend,  & DON'T FORGET THE FREQUENT NAPS - YOUR BODY WILL THANK YOU !!!

Warmest regards,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:06:04 am »
Congrats Lous...Welcome to the world of Posties! 

M :-*

matti

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:06:32 am »
Hi Luigi - I've been thinking about you and so glad it went smoothly (except for pain meds).  For the first day or so I was on morphine and it gave me bizarre dreams and everything seemed to be in shades of purple. Once off that and on to tylenol/codiene I felt 100% better.  While I was at Stanford I felt like I was on a medical TV drama with all the med students that continuously came in and out of my room LOL

Do you have to return to Stanford to get your staples out or have they referred you to someone local?  I know of 3 other AN's up in you area and 2 came to Stanford.

Listen to Nancy and make sure you take frequent naps as slightly over doing it WILL catch up to you.

Stay off the slopes!!!!!!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Louzilla

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:57 pm »
Man it's good to be a postie!  ;D

Mattie and Nancy, I'll make sure and take naps, although I'm starting to get back to a normal cycle.  My naps are shorter now.  The balance is coming back slowly, and I'm going to take my dog for a walk tomorrow. No Skiing or anything for a while.  I'm just taking it easy watching lots of movies! Thanks for the advice, it really helps to have more Italian sisters!  :D
Luigi

Louzilla

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:52:59 pm »
Matti,
My local ENT is taking out the 34 staples Friday. My 8 year daughter Annabella counted them tonight.
Lou