Author Topic: Dec 18, 2006 "My Turn" in Newsweek  (Read 3755 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Dec 18, 2006 "My Turn" in Newsweek
« on: December 30, 2006, 06:27:32 pm »
Did anyone else see this column?  It was written by a women with a parotid gland tumor (also benign, like ANs), which is also wrapped up in the facial nerves the way ANs are.  She faced similar risks we all do with respect to the facial nerve.  She talked a lot about facing the prospect of losing her smile, which really hit home with me.  I'm one of the lucky ones who ended up with no damage to my facial nerve, but I certainly wasn't expecting that outcome going into the surgery.

Here's the link if you're interested in reading it:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16126943/site/newsweek/

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

lmurray69

Re: Dec 18, 2006 "My Turn" in Newsweek
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:41:32 pm »
 That was a very nice artical . It sounded like it was in front of the ear  not behind..HOpe she is doing great..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 08:26:43 pm »
An interesting article.  I knew before my surgery that losing my smile was a possibility, but I thought it was small.  I didn't really think it would happen.  But it did happen.  I've been without a smile for almost 16 months now.  I also lost the feeling in that side of my face.  That has been the most difficult part of the whole tumor situation.  It is something I can cope with though.  People treat me no differently than before for which I am greatful.  I've truly learned that beauty is on the inside.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »
I read that article awhile ago and it made me angry. I do have facial paralysis and I had no idea I would have it. All her fretting about what could happen and then it didn't just annoyed me. I think they need an article by someone who actually lives with no smile everyday. That would be better reading. imho.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:12:26 pm »
I read that article awhile ago and it made me angry. I do have facial paralysis and I had no idea I would have it. All her fretting about what could happen and then it didn't just annoyed me. I think they need an article by someone who actually lives with no smile everyday. That would be better reading. imho.

That's a great idea for a submission.  Anyone interested in trying?

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 09:38:39 pm »
It is interesting, and sort of scary, how different our information has been from all our different doctors.  One of the first things my doctor said was, "There are too many people who have surgery who have permanent paryalsis of their face." 

It's a sad situation.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:56:36 am »
My doctor told me there was a good chance that I'd experience some faical issues around 10 days after surgery. He said if it happened he would treat it with steroids and I should return to normal in around 2 weeks. Well, my right side dropped exactly 10 days after surgery like he said and I freaked out; forgetting what he told me about it being temporary. Thankfully, my face was back to normal 2 weeks later; I feel blessed.

2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:08:57 pm »
Katie,

Thank you SO very much for sharing this link... great read :)

Pembo, we have another AN forum resident celebrity in lmurray (see this thread and article she did:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2745.0).... mebbe you could be our next AN forum celeb? :)  Just a thought. 

My nephew is working for CNN (NYC) right now (but, job has been cut, so not sure how much longer he is there....).  I may just "tap" him on this topic as well. Anderson Cooper is his buddy.... Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Phyl

That's a great idea for a submission.  Anyone interested in trying?

Katie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"