Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 66131 times)

Jeanlea

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2007, 07:47:24 pm »
Sandy, congrats on your tumor dying.  Hope all goes well with your TransEar.  I'm finding mine getting better each day.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2007, 08:39:20 pm »
I am so happy to be reading the posts and good news from you about your new TransEars.  I get to say "I told you so!"   ;)
And I am scheduling an appointment with my audiologist to get the program tweaked a bit on my TransEar I (2006). 

matti

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2007, 09:12:50 pm »
Sandy, fabulous news regarding Ivan!!!  I will be anxiously awaiting your TransEar update, I am very excited for you ;D 

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

okiesandy

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2007, 12:22:08 pm »
Thanks for all good wishes. I am so excited. I really do well with my one sided hearing. I have almost forgotten what it is like to be able to hear on my left side. Gets really intresting at the drive through bank and ordering at eating places. I just pretent it is their speakers, drives them nuts. I work with 180 co-dependent Realtors. They insist on talking to my deaf ear. Sometimes it is better that I don't hear.

Gosh, I hope they got the fitting right. So much excitement in two days. I went for my 1 year MRI in Jan. They told me the AN was smaller. It wasn't until yesterday with the neurosurgeon that I knew just how much of it was showing necrosis. Just about 1/3 of it. It is getting long and skinny look. She had a really big smile on her face and was as excited as I was. She is also very interested in the Trasear. Thinks it should help some with the balance. Now to the neuro-eye guy and more help with balance. She said all AN people need to see neuro-eye doctor at some point. Now why hasn't someone told me this before?

Sandy

A special thanks to our Transear leader Boopie. Did you always want to be a pioneer? ;)

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2007, 03:24:36 pm »
*jumps up and down, doing the happy dance for Sandy!*

heck ya!!!!!!! :D

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2007, 03:50:33 pm »
This is no pun...I always wished I had become a brain surgeon.  Really!  But go figure!  I got to be a Grandma instead.  By getting hearing aids we are showing others how to face our problems and move on.  Pat yourselves on the back.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:43 pm »
This is a really important thread. SSD sucks.  I have my disability hearing 2 weeks from tomorrow. If all goes well, I'm heading straight to the audiologist, not passing go, not collecting $200, and ordering the dang thang.  Yeah Boy! :o

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2007, 09:13:50 pm »
Sail on Cap'n.  Get off these shoals!  Get pink, too!

okiesandy

« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:40 am »
Question,

I got my Transear yesterday. Audiologist was impressed with the workmanship. Fits well and is comfortable. First couple of times I chewed it was a little ouchy. Now I can't feel it at all.

On to the big question. When the doctor plugged my good ear I could barely hear him talk.  The hearing level is about 1/3 of the loudness of my hearing ear. I don't mind the difference in how the sound comes through "tin man" is OK and I expected it. My concern is the volume I really still hear only out of my only hearing ear. If I turn the sound up to 3 then it vibrates at high pitched noises. Suggestions any one? 

I don't have problems getting it in or our and the fit seems firm when I try to take it out. Should I talk to Transear about this? Or will it improve? At this point I can't she how it could help me. My husband whispered in my ear this morning and I can tell there is a sound, not what the words are. I can plug the ear and hear the radio if I turn it from 13 to 21. Shrill little children make it go crazy. Ok all of you who have gone before me chime in here, I am depending on you.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

matti

« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2007, 11:18:29 am »
Sandy - According to Rick you should not feel the TransEar 270 vibrate. Hopefully he will pop in here and reply to your post. The vibration is why I am getting a remake. I only hear sounds on volume 3 1/2 to 4, but with that I get alot of vibration and more so with high pitched sound. When the phone rings or with the tone/pitch of certain voices, the TransEar vibrates like crazy. With mine, we are thinking that the processor is being over driven, so a tighter fit should solve the problem.  I will get my new one some time this week. 

Mine is very comfortable, I acutally forget I have it in. It sounds like you and I both only hear at the higher volume levels. If I were you I would call TransEar and talk with them. Since my audiologist was new to the device, she couldn't help much, but TransEar was able to step in and help her out.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

okiesandy

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2007, 12:18:26 pm »
I am going to email Rick right now.

I can barely hear at level 4 and then not the same volume as my hearing ear. at anything past 2 1/2 it vibrates like crazy.  Back to the drawing board

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2007, 05:18:50 pm »
I just got a message from Rick alias TranEarXpert, and he is about a 2 hr drive from me in Tenessee. He says I can get fitted by Dr Shumaier the inventor, himself!!!  ;D ;D Yowee-zowee, I just about fell offa my chair! I can even see how they are made and stuff.  Maybe the good doc is an art lover and wantsta do a swap! I'm waiting to hear from Rick about how I can get an appt as soon as I get home. What an amazing resource this forum is. I've been chatting with Karen, who has lived my dream of circumnavigating by sail! :o

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jeanlea

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:03 pm »
How lucky for you Cap'n Deb.  We'll want a full report when you return.  Sounds exciting.  Good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2007, 07:42:54 pm »
Sandy, Did the audiologist use the software to check the programs on your unit?  When I turn my TransEar to #3 I can expect to get about 1/3 the volume of the good side.  I believe the summation of the total sound in both sides is how the aid benefits the patient.  I would not expect the hearing aid to operate as a stand alone sound source.  Nor will it sound as loud as your good ear when the good side is plugged.  

As for the vibrating, I think this needs to be addressed especially if the vibrations occur at the middle volume settings.  When the unit is turned to full volume I would expect distortion so one wouldn't get comfortable sound at that level.  TransEar should be able to answer your questions.  Every ear canal anatomy is unique and fitting takes some tryouts.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2007, 11:24:08 am »
alright alright, I really need to "hear" about the real test.

headphones on, blast the heavy metal music,
does one hear "STEREO"?
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06