Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 66129 times)

Lorenzo

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2007, 11:31:39 am »
would the TransEar warranty cover heavy metal blasting of the unit?
:)
Lorenzo

Boppie

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2007, 11:56:41 am »
Who has a money tree? :D

No stereo, just hearing the stuff that is directled at the bad side if there are two speakers. 

And Okay guys, get your own TransEar and decide if you would like to "blast" it.   :o

okiesandy

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2007, 12:03:43 pm »
Boppie,

I just think there is something wrong with the unit or programming. I get vibration at 2 1/2 and sometimes even at 2. There is no sound coming to me at 2 or even 2 1/2. Last night I went to get out of the car and it started shreeking like a banshee.  The unit has to be on 3 to hear even the faintest sounds with ear plugged. I can plug my ear with my finger and turn the radio up to 21 or 22 volume (usual is 13) and hear some words. I can also do the same thing without the aid and hear the same thing. Can't block out all sound coming to the good ear with a finger.

I talked to Rick yesterday. He said to keep wearing it. I did and as the day went on it vibrated more and more. I finially had to take it out. Today my ear is very sore. The unit itself is very comfortable. The vibrating is not. I have a appointment Monday and will see what we can do then. Rick is going to contact my audiologist and go over the settings. I honestly think it is more than that because of the vibration and squealing sound. Time will tell. I am sure it will work out sooner or later.

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

matti

« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2007, 03:00:11 pm »
Ixta -  I've had SSD for almost 9 years, I forgot what stereo sounds and feels like :(

Sandy - I start to feel the vibration at 2 1/2, but do not hear sound at that level, I only get benefit at 3 1/2 to 4, but then my head and ear are vibrating like crazy. I am glad you are seeing your audiologist on Monday, this could all be just a programming issue.  I know on Day one of TransEar 270 I had to be seen twice by my audiologist because of the vibration and she was able to tone it down some. When I had my first TransEar back in November, it took my brain a few days to process the new info. I was ready to give up and then sound  just magically appeared.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out for us.

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2007, 05:10:14 pm »
I think we need to rename this thread the transear club!
I want to join!!!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to call the hearing people vr gave me to call.

Deb good luck on your hearing.  Let us know  how it goes. I'll be heading that way sometime in my lifetime  LOL  I'm thinking by the time they finally schedule it I might be done with school  LOL

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2007, 09:39:08 pm »
ya batty, I'm a little jealous hearin about this secret club, like peer pressure or something, "smokin behind the school portables" "everybodys doin it" in highschool. haha

ya, I am a noob one ear so I still get melancholy when i listen to some good tunes, and think, CRAP they are not too good anymore, with stereo I was at least able to let the music envelope me. Now it just bounces off my forehead, lets hope the transear at least gives the 360 degree of "where tf is that sound coming from",

hey you trannies!, ;D I mean trans ear people, can you close your eyes and have someone make sound around you and you can turn towards the sound>?

the dreaded, WHERE THE HELL IS THE PHONE@!! test... :D
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Boppie

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2007, 11:37:20 pm »
Sandy, Does the squealing coincide with a certain head position?  like leaning forward or bending down or high frequency instruments, certain speakers??  I just thought some tests might give you more feedback for your next session about adjustments.  I remember some vibration sensations for several wearings at first.  I also had one very sore pink spot on my outer ear lobe that hurt with a stinging feeling.  I thought it was vibrations.  Can you or your husband see any red spots on the ear skin? 

Are you using auragel to insert?   

okiesandy

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2007, 09:53:56 am »
Cheryl and Boppie,

Had to leave the TE at home today. Yes, the high pitched whne is worse when I bend or around one computer. Also, last night on the drive home I passed a hospital and screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech. This does not vibrate just a little it is something others can hear and see. Actually makes me jump at times. If it turn it up to 2 1/2 it will vibrate with children, when someone coughs or laughs. At 2 I hear nothing if I plug my ear. Nothing at a 2 1/2 either. If I can keep it from vibrating I can hear some things at 3. Never a 4 the thing would jump out of my ear.

I do use the lubricant and don't have a problem putting it in. I am going to try it again tomorrow and see how it goes. My ear is just sore and I don't want a problem so just left it at home so I would not be tempted. When it is in it feels fine, don't even know it is there. It is just the vibrating I think. I am sure I will get this worked out as long as the audiologist and the Transear people don't give up.

Cheryl, are you getting any benefit from this at all? Can you notice any difference in hearing? The strange thing with me is when I do plug my good ear and can hear something with the Transear it does sound like it is coming from the left ear and not the right. I am deaf in the left ear. I am making my husband sit on my left and talk to me. Still can't hear him, only if he gets too loud or makes a strange noise or laughs It is a split second until the vibration starts. Children drive me crazy. They laugh, shreek or do things children do and the vibration is crazy. My appointment is Monday and we shall see if anything changes. I am not ready to give up yet. I keep thinking about when the neurosurgeon said I had remarkable bone conduction. That keeps me going.

Thanks to all of the transear club for your input. If it had not have been for you this thing would be back in the doctors office by now. It is going to work...it is going to work....it is going to work. Power of positive thinking.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

Boppie

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2007, 12:36:38 pm »
It sounds like your "remarkable bone conduction" and something in your unit are working together to overdrive your bones.  Wow, Rick Gilbert might be looking at another kind of uniquensss in you, Sandy! 

My unit vibrates very softly when I have it in my finger tips.  I use 2 and a half setting, sometimes 3.

I am sure you are going to love the results when the fitting stage is finished.

I have a suggestion:  Could you wear it around for several days on the lowest setting you can tolerate and let the ear bones and your brain adjust slower?     

Boppie

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2007, 12:51:07 pm »
Sandy, what do you mean by this "If I can keep it from vibrating I can hear some things at 3"?  How do you keep it from vibrating?

If you have to push on it (toward the inside) I'd think the fit is off somewhere.  At first I had some sore spots inside against the jaw bone.  Some smoothing took care of that.  I made a wild guess that the sore was down low against the front suface that bumped the jaw bone.  After the sanding, it stopped burning and hurting. 

I'd say the "burning" was vibration when I look back on it.  It is amazing what a half millimeter can mean for comfort.

okiesandy

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2007, 10:34:16 am »
Boppie,

No problem with discomfort. It is quite comfortable.

When someone speaks it vibrates. However, if I can find a sound that won't cause the vibration I can hear very faint sounds. I wear the aid everyday except for the one day that my ear was sore from the fibration. As time goes by the vibration seems a little less. Unfortunately the sounds I do hear are less also. I go to the audiologist today and maybe this will be resolved.

When I am on the phone with my good ear the Transear sometimes vibrates and then I can't hear with the good ear either. Very strange.

Rick was supposed to talk with the audiologist and find out what my settings are and make some suggestions. I haven't given up yet.

Thanks,

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

okiesandy

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2007, 02:11:24 pm »
Got a call from Audiolgist office today. After confering with Rick they decided it needs to go back for a check up. I will turn it in this afternoon. Sooner or later we will get this solved.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

Jeanlea

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2007, 06:08:04 pm »
Hope you get it worked out soon, Sandy.

I was sitting in the living room tonight watching Tv with my family and did not have my TransEar on because I had just finished running.  I actually noticed "the deafness" in my bad ear.  Guess I am getting used to that extra bit of sound I get with the TransEar. Also, I'm on day 5 with my new Radio Shack battery. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jeanlea

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2007, 05:58:42 pm »
Today was a real test for how well my TransEar works.  I forgot to put it in before I left for school.  Well, I did notice the difference.  I just couldn't hear quite as much.  I must be getting used to the TransEar.  I will be sure to remember it tomorrow.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

gb4821

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:08 pm »
I had my audiologist meeting today to talk about different options for my hearing loss.  She has been in contact with Transear and will get more information from them now that we have done another hearing exam.  The exam shows the same results for my better ear as before but it is different then most in which I hear the higher pitches but have a problem with the low ones (the Transear works best when you have higher pitch loss then lower pitch loss).  She said she will give the results to the Transear people to see if my hearing will benefit from their aid or not.  She was very helpful and informed about the different choices that might be available to me.  I will get a list of my choices after she does some more research and present them to me at my ENT meeting next Tuesday. 

Options we talked about today:

Transear with only the dead ear with aid in it.  May not or will not hear low tones though.

Hearing aid for the better ear to allow me to hear better then I already do but no hearing from left side.

Cros system to bring hearing from my left side to my right side but something in both ears then.  not sure about the high and low pitch thing with this option?

Not sure what I want to go with yet but will get the information to compare next week.  My heart says that I would like to only have an aid on my left side (dead side) and then hear again from that side so I don't have to continue to turn my head to hear things or people on my good side but maybe that will not be an option for me.  I also found out today that both of my ear canals were smaller so that might weight heavy on my options as well.  Either way that I have to go I will make it work for the better.

Sorry about this being so long but it has help in putting it in a written format instead of just keeping it in my head. :-\

Thanks for listening and will keep you posted on my options as I get them.

Greg Brown
Greg Brown
1.5 cm AN Removed 1/22/07
Suboccipital Procedure:OHSU ( Portland Oregon); Dr. McMinemee and Dr. Delishaw
Complete removeal of tumor but hearing nerve on left side was severed.