Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 66125 times)

matti

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »
Jean - Glad to hear it is going well ;D Isn't it nice not to have to turn your head as much.

I wore mine to a meeting today and placed myself in the center of the room, where normally I would sit dead ear against the wall. It was a noisy meeting and I was not struggling to hear those seated close to me. Once the vibration is corrected, I know things will continue to improve.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2007, 08:25:14 pm »
Howdy,

How long after surgery were you folks with the Transear able to be fitted?

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jeanlea

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2007, 09:07:37 pm »
Hi Dan,

I was fitted for my TransEar 16 months after surgery.  It took me that long to learn about it, and then get an appointment.  There isn't anything special that you have to wait for after surgery.  As soon as you are well enough to go to the audiologist you can get fitted I believe.  Others can chime in with their opinions.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »
My surgeon offered a BAHA at the two month surgery checkup.  I turned it down because I wanted no more surgery if I could avoid it.  Most people who do opt for BAHA have it functioning by the third month after an uncomplicated surgery.  So I assume it is safe to use a hearing aid by at least 3 months out.

I started using the TransEar before my first year checkup.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:32:18 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2007, 09:30:58 pm »
Happy news to report with my TransEar. For the first time in almost 9 years, I was able to put the phone up to my dead ear and HEAR!!!!!! WOW!!!!!  I don't think I would be able to carry on a long conversation because of the way I have to hold the phone (TransEar microphone sits behind the ear), but just being able to hear a "hello" after all these years was pretty amazing.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2007, 09:37:11 pm »
Boppie,

I'm only a couple of weeks past my trans lab. I'm still putting drops in my ear and all. I figured there would have to be a certain amount of healing to have been accomplished before a hearing device like the Transear could be fitted.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Lorenzo

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2007, 12:17:43 am »
Wow all this is amazing to read. I am now going to look into it again as I get closer to wanting one! Thanks Cheryl, Boppie and Jeanlea to keep us all informed on progress!
Ciao, Lorenzo

Jeanlea

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2007, 11:32:15 am »
I tried something new with my TransEar today.  When I first put it on the battery was beeping.  It didn't seem to be working so I guess that meant I needed a new battery.  Put the new in and it's fine.  Got 3 days out of the first battery of wearing it all day.
Next I decided to watch a video on my computer.  My son gave me his headphones.  Started out fine, but then I had no sound.  He told me one side didn't always work.  Well, that was my hearing side.  I remember Cheryl saying the the microphone is behind the ear so I put the headphone more behind the ear and plugged my good ear and then I could hear sounds!!  It was clear enough for me to understand what people were saying! 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2007, 10:39:10 pm »
Jean I'm so excited for you!  I'm hoping to be next!
I say get your son a new set of headphones  LOL

Rick...if you have TMJ will that affect how the transear should be fitted or how it works?

matti

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:46 pm »
BattyP - I think you will be very happy with it ;D   

Jean - I did the headphones tonight as well and heard the music clearly.  When I am listening to music and plugging my good ear with my finger, I can hear a slight delay in the music coming from the bad ear, it's almost a beat behind. I have been wearing mine 8 to 10 hours per day and had to change the battery this morning as well.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2007, 12:51:07 am »
Michelle, send Rick a personal and you will get a response about the TMJ.  Or address your question to TransEarExpert

Obita

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2007, 07:44:09 pm »
This is so exciting.  I bet Transear could sell a bunch if they went to Philly.

Good luck to all of our Guinea Pigs and thanks for all of the info.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2007, 09:02:28 am »
Most in-the-ear hearing aids - and that includes TransEar's transfer unit - are affected by the temporal-mandibular joint, because movement can change the shape of the ear canal. As with most things anatomical, each of us has our own characteristics, and some have a very small joint while others have a whopper. When we receive an ear impression for TransEar, we can easily see the size of the TMJ, but large joints will rarely affect our ability to fit the new smaller TransEar270 that a few members have. Those with TMD, a disorder that allows for irregular movement of the joint, are not necessarily restricted from using TransEar, but there is an added fear that the irregular movement might occlude the ear canal. With the transfer unit in the ear, that might cause pain. We do not know if a TMD sufferer is using our product, so I am not willing to make a categorical statement of use, except to say that the TMD sufferer will need to work extra closely with the dispensing professional on getting the proper fit, one that includes any irregular sizing of the ear canal.

I am trying to get to the Philly symposium in July, with an eye to getting the medical profession up-to-speed on TransEar quicker. Meeting some forum members, with or without TransEar, would be an added treat.

okiesandy

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2007, 05:08:03 pm »
Ok,

Transear tomorrow. Hope the fact he did not take molds using a bite block does not hamper anything. I did go to my neurosurgeon today and she confirmed I do have excellent bone conduction hearing. She said it is something that not everyone has to the same degree. She is so interested in how the transear works. She is almost as excited as I am. Wish the neurotologist was less of a skeptic.

By the way "Ivan the Terrible Tumor" has a very large area of necrosis.  :D Isn't that a lovely word?

Will post tomorrow and tell you how my new ear is doing.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Obita

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:18 pm »
Congrats on the beginning of Ivan's demise okiesandy!!

And, as always, this thread gets my attention.  I can't wait to hear all about your new ear!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines