Author Topic: New Update on Tim  (Read 2682 times)

kf3994

New Update on Tim
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:17:50 pm »
Hi Everyone.

It's been a long couple of days since my last update.  After he was moved to ICU, he was making remarkable progress.  He stayed in ICU for only 24 hours before being tranferred to a regular room on Thursday evening.  He was feeling pretty good on Thursday night & through lunchtime on Friday.  He started having stomach/GI problems after lunch Friday.  Bloating & abdominal pain...This continued into Saturday.  I arrived at the hospital yesterday around 10am.  I was planning to only visit through the day, so I only had no overnight bag or phone lists.  I didn't know about the GI issues until I got there & he was wheeled back in.  They had to do another set of x rays & then the GI doctor was called in.  They had to insert an NG tube through his nose & into his stomach to help decompress everything.  They put him back on fluids until they could remove the tube.  It was a LONG night.  He was pretty uncomfortable, but the nursing stafff  - who has been fabulous since he has been there helped him become more comfortable over night.  The doctors concluded his GI problems were caused by the pain meds he was receiving. Sometimes narcotic-based meds will make those areas of your body sluggish & his intestinal tract jsut ahd trouble waking up - so to speak.  The tube stayed in through this afternoon.  They were able to remove the tube around 3:30 this afternoon.  We are still very encouraged by how things have gone.  My sister arrives tomorrow, so she will be able to help out too.  She will be here until a week from Friday.  Looking forward to bringing dad home soon.  Will send an update when we know for sure when he will be coming home.

Will holler at you all later.

Thanks for everything!!

Kendra

Obita

Re: New Update on Tim
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:28:04 pm »
Thank you Kendra -

Please tell your Dad we are all thinking of him.  Lets hope he will be sleeping in his own bed very soon.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Denise

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:34:59 am »
Kendra I am happy things are starting to improve. Thank you for keepin us all updated.  Don't forget to get some rest too. 
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:12 am »
Kendra,
Take care of yourself and tell your dad we are still praying for you guys.
Lynn

matti

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:43 am »
Thank you for the update Kendra. Scary situation, but so glad all is fine now. Keeping you and Dad in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

kf3994

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:03:14 pm »
Hey again,

I don't think I put this in the update, but we spoke with the neuro surgeon Sunday & he said they were able to remove 80% of the right side tumor.  Also his hearing seems to have remained intact.  He is able to hear while using his hearing aids, as before surgery, but sometimes (especially when he's fatigued) it cuts in & out right now, but that is most likely due to the minor swelling around the nerve.  Really it seems no better, but certainly no worse - & that's a good thing.  That should fix itself over time as the swelling decreases.  That's fantastic news & we are extremely encouraged.  My sister has landed & will be heading over to visit with dad soon.  He's in terrific hands with her being there. 

Will chat with y'all later.

Kendra

Obita

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »
Thanks again Kendra - Hi to Dad please - Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines