Author Topic: AN Newbie  (Read 45863 times)

Obita

Re: AN Newbie
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2007, 05:41:01 pm »
Hi Sheree and Don:

I am so glad you posted.  It does sound like things are looking up FINALLY.  You both deserve good things happening.  The fact that Don can walk the halls is huge!!  Some of the people on here that have had complications could not walk on their own until after they had gone to rehab for a while.  Bravo Don!!

The bowel thing is awful.  And like Katie said, the pain meds make it worse.  I think the med I started taking for pain that was not a narcotic was Toradol.  The vicadin or percocet (can't remember which) did do a number on my bowels.  Once things started rocking and rolling, I was in good shape.  Heres hoping he does not need THE BOTTLE.

Thank you so much for the update and I hope you can relax a little.  BIG HUG FOR YOU BOTH.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2007, 05:59:10 pm »
Hi Sheree:  Great news!!!!
                I remember I was on Colace 100 mg twice a day for several weeks - which helps with bowel movements & especially
                they don't want any straining which can increase intracranial pressure - if he's not on it make sure he gets on it (it's an over-the-counter so there's no problem getting it when you guys are home).
                Remember, recovery is slow, especially with complications.   His eye will  bother him for awhile, he should be using lubricants, eye drops
                if he has problems closing his eye.
Keep a peaceful heart my friend, Nancy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:29:15 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kss4luck

• 2.1 cm removed translab 5/4/07 Dr Jung/Clark RCH
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 08:29:21 pm »
Hi Sherrie and Don,
I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. Sherrie may God give you peace of mind doing this period. It must be difficult to be supportive and say all the right stuff that I know all of us on the patient side depend on. You have a special blessing in God's heart for your hard work. It seems like everyone that has surgery has problems with bowel movements after. My friend had 4 hour hip replacement surgery and couldn't go for days after. The Dr told him it is the anestesia. Just know you are both in our prayers and I'm so glad his minister from Alaska came to visit.
Cindy

er

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2007, 12:29:08 am »
God bless both of you

Rob7

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:14 pm »
 HE IS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL...
now trying to keep him hydrated and on the road to recovery...
hopfully HE will be the next one to post on here...
thank you again for your support..
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Obita

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 05:09:54 am »
Sheree and Don:

What great news!! 

The pc monitor was hard to look for a while.  Come on, say hi and go take a nap.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2007, 08:14:59 am »
That's fantastic news!!! I hope to read his posts soon!

God bles,

Dan ;D
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2007, 09:09:13 am »
Sheree and Don... GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Time for onward and upward and continued wellness and rest.

Sending major healing huggles to you both...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:25 pm »
Sheree and Don:

Just a quick post to let you know that Don was in my thoughts and prayers and now I hope both of you can get some real rest - at home, at last - and Don can truly begin his road to recovery.  Remember: Time Heals.  Really, it does.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 07:38:18 pm »
Sheree & Don:   YEEEEAAAAHHHH !!!!!   "THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME"      Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Stevey

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2007, 01:04:32 am »
Sheree & Don,

I just came across this thread and had to read all of it, I could not stop reading it and it gave me a new perspective/aprreciation on/of my wife's experience, she is a professor at the medical school at UPenn where I had my surgery she had nowhere near the commute, she walked over during lunch to bring me a chicken sandwich for lunch everyday of my week in hspital and two weeks in in-patient rehab, she had a fifteen minute drive home every night, boy were we lucky.  I am almost 8 weeks post op and can tell you that we all struggled with that first BM so I was heartened that your wife's steadfast concerns extended into that realm, my wife was very much interested in every aspect of my care.  Now as far as that radiation thing, my wife works in leukemia research and the docs she works with told me that the sort of radiation that they use for CK and FSR should (!) be very safe, however there are concerns with people lacking certain tumor suppressing genes (like but not exactly like the one that is feared to cause schwannomas (AN's) could, (no data exists either way) cause problems down the road.  I emphasize that I had the surgery because my tumor was pressing on my brain stem and possibly affecting my ability to breathe and swallow so we went for it but also seriously considered radiation for non-invasive reasons.  Btw, my ENT was all factual and cold hard fact and my neurosurgeon had a great compassion and wit and bed side manner (not very matter of fact about my symptoms).  Please ! talk to your surgeon at this point as to whether or not you could wait and see and follow your remaining tumor by mri, it they cut off nutrition flow to it, it is possible that it will die some on it's own (necrosis, assuming no angiogenesis, (growth of blood vessels by tumor to feed itself) and Don and can recover some before further treatment.  It may reveal just how much (side affects)is being caused by surgery aftermath and how much is being caused by remaining tumor.  I was relieved that they got all of my AN in one shot, and I realize that having some tumor around may seem like a cloud over your heads but the number one thing is what is best for the long haul for your family.  I only suggest that you ask these things but I am not a Physician, but my physician mentioned the possibility of leaving some tumor for wait and see for me, becuase of the physical location of the tumor,  I am aactually a scientist like my wife.  Sheree, your devotion to Don and to this board are inspirational and these are good folks here, I was rooting for him while reading this, realizing at times that I was in in-patient rehab when he went in for surgery on the 7th.  Being home will be so good for you both, Don, enjoy each little milestone and share them here, many of us felt the same jubilation at our first time up the stairs or our first un-assisted shower.  Hang in there, you have been through much and from the sounds of things, have so much to persevere for.  Reach out here for kind words of encouragement or understanding, we will be here for you, heck you can call me if you want.  I have to go to sleep if I am going to work tomorrow. It is 3am.   God Bless,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

Stevey

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2007, 01:15:58 am »
Don,

I am a disabled Veteran (USN Diver), and I forgot to thank you for your service.  Boy, your transition to civi-life is going to be more of a challenge than mine was.  I just realized looking over your inspirational posts.  Gotta sleep now. 

This has been like watching extreme home makeover twice (Doggone show makes me cry sometimes).  If Lorenzo is reading this, an entrepreneurial idea, extreme AN makeover show?  I'd watch.  I do it every time I logon here, very inspirational stuff in this thread, I can't wait to hear that Don and Sheree are well.

Cheers to all,

Steve
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2007, 06:37:07 pm »
Hi Don & Sheree:  Wondering how you're doing Don?
                          Hope you're getting along okay, or, as well as can be expected.
                          The first few weeks are the roughest, all the adjusting to the post op 'limiitations',
                          headaches, balance, eye, eating & drinking..... well, just about everything.

I remember the 1st time I put a bing cherry in my mouth, it flew right back out across the dining room table,
                          all I could think was 'Bond, James Bond', like it was some kind of weapon,  in between the laughing & crying
                         things slowly did get better.....

Hang in there guys,   Keep a peaceful heart,  this part of the journey is rough,    Nancy

ps:   I just remembered, I was looking at my post op instructions the other day (cleaning out drawers), &  the docs wanted me on the Colace for 6 weeks !!!  It really did help(too much information, I know, my co-workers tell me that all the time - I wonder if my frontal lobes got damaged along the way...lol )
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 06:49:47 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Rob7

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »
hello
here we are again in a hotel in birmingham al waiting to go in to the doc in the am for suture/staple removal.  Don is VERY tired and has a hard time staying down...
he has a harder time drinking eating and talking once he gets tired.. still taking at least one three hour nap a day. my extra help is going home tomorrow... will begin to do it all alone..I am sure i will do just fine...just getting tired. well thought I would leave another update..don does NOT get on the computer like he used to at all.
take care
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Stevey

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2007, 10:00:13 pm »
Sheree,

God to hear frm you guys, the fatigue is normal and I think most of us suffered through it but Don has been through an ordeal.  Did his doctor ever identify the cause of the BP spiking, I had hypertension prior to surgery but lost weight (35 lbs.) and almost collapsed three weeks before surgery frm low BP and they took me off meds for Hypertension, just curius what happened there.  My wife and kids, Susan (wife) and Evelyn 4.5 yrs) and Julia (14 mos. , isn't talking much yet), are praying for you guys every night.  I have an AN Mom who I keep in touch with whose daughter 25 is going through the swallowing thing and she is about to get her tube out because she couldn't swallow at all and now a month later she is fine.  Take care, (you especially, get rest when you can),

God Bless,

Steve