Author Topic: Checkup Date  (Read 2435 times)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Checkup Date
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:55:22 pm »
I finally set a check up date .. I will be at House Ear Clinic March 22/23 for a MRI and checkup .. I'd like to talk about getting any facial surgery and the risks (I getting getting good movement in the corner of my mouth but my lower lip is still dead) . and eye weights .. I could live like this and the eye drops , but would the weights and facial surgery be better?

ps.. this means the following weekend is out for me meeting for Brunch (Mar24/25)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:35:24 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Checkup Date
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:43 pm »

Hi Joef:   I plan on getting some kind of facial surgery
                if my nerve doesn't come back.
                For me the eye weight was a necessity.

I could live like this if I have to, but I know
                I'd feel better mentally & physically with more
                extensive work done.

Best wishes on your check up & decision,   Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:04:25 pm »
Hi Joe,

got your travel dates noted and will work around it.. we're prolly looking at April to make sure you are home, CrazyKat/Paul is home.. and I've got a few things going on end March/beginning April that requires my attention...  will do an official post shortly on it.

Good luck at your appt!  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:19:14 am »
actually  I wont be home from April 14 - 22 too ! (annual fishing trip to Canada for Salmon)  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

MLB57

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:12:27 pm »
 Hi Joe--Good luck on your LA  check-up!!! Hope to see you at April(?) brunch!!

Also adding my "consult" info here (hope you don't mind)--A UMassMed MD of mine didn't want me to rush into radaition (was all set to schedule GK) and suggested I consult w/Dr Barker at Mass General--I had my Consultw/Dr Barker today and he told me that my facial nerve (altho not cut) was traumatized and weakended from surgery and altho it is very resilient an already compromised one may not bounce back like a non-traumatized one (my words)-- he felt the FSR Lineac would give the facial nerve time to recover between treatments. He recommended I consult w/Dr Loeffler at Mass General so I will make another trip to Boston but I want to do lots of research in the meantime--pros and cons of one-shot (Gamma) VS FSR over several days/wks. Dr Barker told me regarding surgery that he could take it out again but w/10% or higher chance of further damage to my facial nerve--and that's all I had to hear (I was against repeat surgery anyway). He said there is no sense in wait and see as it is clearly re-growing (I agree with that also) and he wasn't concerned with the possibility of radiation turning cancerous (my main concern) so I feel at peace I chose the right option with radiosurgery. 

So now I must decide which radiation to have and when..   It's certainly not fun having to deal with this again but I am thankful surgery isn't my only option...  Mary  :)
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!