Author Topic: almost back to normal  (Read 7005 times)

MichelleN

Re: almost back to normal
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 12:48:39 pm »
Ive been post op for over 7 months now.  I am done with all therapy.  Things seem to be about 90-95%.  Except for the facial paralysis.  Which looks better some days then others.  I'm trying to be patient.

Is there anyone who pretty much feels that they are normal again?  I mean besides physically many of us seem to have "scars"emotionally of our AN it seems.  I mean I pretty much feel normal, i'm driving, working full-time, running and pretty much doing everything I did before.  There is still that 5-10% where I get off balance.  Its ususally when im sitting and  I get up too fast or on occasion when i'm twisting or turning fast when I am walking. 

Im asking this because although it is winter here in PA with the spring comin up, I plan to be doing more activity in the outdoors.  Like hiking and moving on uneven surfaces or downward hills.  Maybe even some wading.  I kinda wonder what all this will be like?  Do you think my experiences will get better as I do it more, or do you think i'm SOL with most of that stuff?   I kinda want to know your expereinces with this.  I mean you see all those commercials of herpes where they are bikeriding, mt climbing, hiking etc etc...thats kind of a joke, but I mean can you still do all those things with a vanished vestibular nerve??

I do appreciate the fact that i'm doing so well, and I hate being told what I CANNOT do!  Hate it!  Do you think this 90-95% will ever be near 100%?  I dont want to be spoiled or nothin, its just human nature to question this.
I TOOK NOTICE THAT YOU ARE FROM PA. I ALSO AM FROM PA. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU HAD YOUR SURGERY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PENN HOSP.
Michelle

Obita

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 11:11:32 am »
Hi Chris and all:

I had to let you know right away that I saw Denise today.  All I can say is:  WOW!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe the difference two months makes when you are talking about the 12/7 jump results.  Her six month anniversary of the jump surgery was mid January.  Her doctor told her she should start seeing results at the six month mark and more results after that.  I have only known her with the paralysis so to see her today after not seeing her for two months was like meeting a different person.  Her mouth is almost straight across and her cheek does not sag anymore.   

Hang in there Chris, you will start seeing results from the amazing 12/7 jump surgery in time!!  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 11:18:19 am »
Kathy:  I am sooooo glad to hear that about Denise !!!!
           Gives me hope if/when I have the nerve graft.
           I've been so scared about further big surgeries, but with results like that,
           WOW !!!  is right !!!!
           I am so happy for her.
  Thanks for the great news !!   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017